Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Are Rawhide Chewies Safe?

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by shelties&shoes, Dec 24, 2013.

1. shelties&shoes

shelties&shoes Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    I buy my shelties rawhide chewies and they love them...flip them in the air, attack them, growl at them, and bark at them...then chew on them for a bit. It takes each of my guys a week or more for each chewie; although, I do find many of them hidden in the kids laundry, in the couch cushions, or under their mattress in their crates.

I ask only because I was with a friend a few weeks ago when I bought a package and she totally freaked out on me for being a bad dog mommy (like I was feeding my kids pure cane sugar laced with cyanide) and got on her soapbox about how horrible they were....so opinons?

Thanks
    Kelly

2. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I think rawhides can be either dangerous or wonderful, depending on what kind you get and how your dog chews on them. Most are made in China which can contain all sorts of chemicals. But I use Wholesome Hides which are made in the USA. They're also a lot thicker than the kind you get at, say Walmart which can be thin and shatter easily, causing problems like choking and blockages.

I also monitor my pup when she has them just to make sure she doesn't try to swallow any large chunks that could choke her. I may be a little paranoid, but I just like to make sure she's safe.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I do sell them at my store, but I discourage them. They just don't digest well and some dogs chock on them once they get soft.

In fact, I recommend that that no chew should be unsupervisedz for long. I do like antlers for a longer chew....and Indy's personal favourite is the Everist Cheeese Chew.

If you are trying to deal with teeth issues then Paragons or Whimzees

4. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    I don't give any rawhide. My previous Sheltie had choked on rawhide several times. I am sure that being uneducated about the dangers, they they were probably China rawhides too. She was about 13 or so when it started happening, but the choking scared me enough to never want to give any dog rawhide, American made or not.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I admit I'm not happy about it, but rawhide is all my dogs will chew and I think dogs need to chew. I've tried all the "good stuff" -- antlers, himalayan cheese chews, etc. They aren't interested. I do have one aggressive chewer and she will occasionally swallow too big a piece so I watch her like a hawk. The rest just gnaw on them when they feel like it...usually when someone else finds it interesting, LOL. Then they all want the same piece.

I think if you buy as good quality rawhide as you can and watch them carefully, you'll be OK.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'm not a fan of rawhide. It leaves a residue all over the dog's chest and paws that I hate. Plus I don't like that they can't digest them, Sarah sometimes throws up large wads of the stuff. She doesn't chew off large chunks, but since she also eats her own hair with it it get's all tangled up with small peaces of raw hide in her stomach. This make me very nervous.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I have also heard all the bad things about rawhide. However this is one thing Shelby loves to chew. She does not care for antlers or Himalayan bones. She does like rawhide. She does not chew big pieces off and she is always supervised. She has never had any GI issues from them. Our vet said as long as we don't give them to her every day it is OK.

8. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    absolutely hate them for my dogs
    I prefer real, raw rib bones or neck bones for them to chew on.

9. shelties&shoes

shelties&shoes Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    I will look for the better ones, I prefer Kirby chew up the rawhides then all of his balls and rubber toys. It takes them forever to chew through one (like a couple of weeks) so I don't think they are chewing off big pieces. But I will make sure to supervise more closely though.

I have bought my guys Nylabones but they like the softer toys to chew on and the Nyla ones are too hard for them; I also think they like to hear their teeth squeak against the toy as well. So I am not sure if they would like something harder than a rawhide.

I have heard people talk about 'Greenies' for chewing but have never bought them...any feedback on those?

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    My dogs never had any interest in Greenies on the few occasions I tried them. Same for Nylabones, except for the ones designed for teething puppies. Those they'd like to chew up of course and can't because they're not meant to eat! :gaah

A few years ago there were incidents of Greenies making dogs sick because they were reportedly indigestible and larger pieces would stay in the stomach/intestines. The story is that they've changed the formula since then and I know people use them but I've never been comfortable with them since then.