Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Picky Eater

Discussion in 'General Health' started by rclark43, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tinsel is "a stomach with hair". Having lived through never knowing when his food is coming again he goes completely ape when I am preparing it for him. He will eat most anything. Contrast that to Rhiannon, our Terv. Her food has to be in the right place with no stressors, like storms, happening. I once had a westie male that was hard to keep weight on as he was not a good eater. In desparation I fed him Kibbles and Bits - yes your read right - for about 2 weeks. He loved it and got into the habit of eating daily. Slowly I reintroduced good food along with it while reducing the junk and by the end he never turned down a meal again. I was lucky. He could have become a "picker" but it never occurred to him. My grandpuppydaughter is coming for the weekend. She is not a great eater and may not eat enough while here. She'll get 20 minutes to eat and then her food will be taken up - just as what happens at her home. Daughter does this because she finds that Gem will eat better if she doesn't leave it down for her. Gem is in good weight and has lots and lots of energy. I guess what I am saying is that you have to play with different aspects of feeding when you have a picky dog but once you figure out what makes them tick then you can usually work with them.