Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lacey has runny poo!!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I have not changed her food yet although I do plan to in the future. What could be causing this? She has been vaccinated against all the usual parasites so I don't think it's that.

Could it be the move and getting adjusted or something else?
    What should I do? I don't want to feed her anything new right now, but I also don't like her having an upset tummy.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Did they fecal test for coccidia? Well, might not have shown up yesterday anyway. Totally typical for coccidia to show up during stress of the change. Ask the vet if they want to do a fecal for coccidia?

Could also be change in water? Stress of travel and vet visit too. Re-read Baker's thread when he got upset tummy since they everyone talked about how to hydrate and what all that could be. Baker's went away but since you are heading into weekend, call the vet and ask.

Shay had coccidia, severe, and we treated it. He also had giardia and all the other worms. It was pretty nasty.

3. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    She was vaccinated for coccidia a few weeks ago, but who knows. It could be anything from a change in water to the stress of moving here. Anyways I'm going to bring a sample into the vets as soon as I can get one.

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My guess is stress, her whole world (all what ...60 some days of it) has changed. :smile2:

Not a bad idea to get it checked out... peace of mind is worth it.

(note to self: vet check on Wednesday)

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It won't hurt to switch her to boiled chicken and white rice with a spoon of pumpkin until you see the vet. If is is coccidia or worms, which are common in puppies, they'll give you something to treat it. In the meantime, mix a fair amount of warm water into the chicken/rice so she stays hydrated.

On the other hand, it could be stress, or the water, as Mom2Melli said, but better safe than sorry, and a bland diet will help. I agree with the vet consult. I never mess with puppy health. They're too small and fragile.

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Baker's poo was fine until exactly 1 week after we got him. He didn't seem interested in food or playing. At the advice of my vet we syringed Pedialyte & some baby rice cereal. I was so worried, but the next day he was better.

It could be many things - as the wonderful people here mentioned to me when dealing with Baker, but I believe it was a combination of stress, new water...everything new. Hope little Lacey is back to normal poos soon!

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Are you giving bottled water? Just curious. They vaccinated her for coccidia? Wow.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Poor thing - wonderful suggestions you have been given. Let us know how she is.

9. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I know she was treated for it as a precaution. It may not have been a vaccine though.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    When Zak was a puppy he had coccidia and his breeder suggested pedyalte to keep him hydrated. Bottled water is a good idea too, with the chicken and rice.