Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Drugs & Medications
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you give heartworm medicine?
Yes 35 89.74%
No 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:28 PM

Mine have plastic models.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSOhio51 View Post
As an admitted (and perhaps avowed) pessimist, I read this comment with a knowing and an affimative nod. I have no doubt that some vets DO (often) employ such scare tactics. However, even if I AM bowing to doggy doc scare tactics, where does the harm lie? Even if the chance of contracting heartworms in a givin area is low, where does the harm lie? The question is (for me), does the heartworm med HARM my pet even if unneccessary? If the answer is NO, the choice is simple - do it! If the answer is YES (or MAYBE) the choice becomes much more difficult.
This. I was going to post basically the same thing when I got around to it. I kinda suspect Fasb may not need heartworm meds. He was 4 or 5 before his first owner put him on Heartgard, so I suspect it may not be a big risk for us. But I don't see any reason to question the vet's judgment. If Fasb did get heartworms, it'd be a horrible ordeal for him. Not worth any sort of risk. And, even if I look at it as a purely financial issue, Heartgard costs me about $110 a year (I don't price shop; just buy it from the vet and pay what he charges). If Fasb lives another five years, I may spend $600 on Heartgard. I don't know how much it would cost me to treat heartworms, but I'm almost certain it'd be more than $600.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Geez, I've never been to a vet that does this! What kind of vets do you know? I'd give them a wide berth!!
Several, including the military veterinary facility I support with IT work, although I'm not privileged to use its services.

I wouldn't necessarily not use a vet simply because of such a thing. Vets are business people, and need to turn a profit to stay in existence. I believe it's incumbent upon myself not to be taken in by such tactics, and stay informed. In this day and age, that's easier than ever!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:42 PM

Fasb's Owner: You captured my point pretty well. To me, it's sort of like buying insurance. The only caveat would be if I found that there was significant, foreseeable risk for giving it to a dog with no need. Otherwise it would be REALLY cheap insurance.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignarda View Post

... I wouldn't necessarily not use a vet simply because of such a thing. Vets are business people, and need to turn a profit to stay in existence. I believe it's incumbent upon myself not to be taken in by such tactics, and stay informed...
ABSOLUTELY agree with this. WE must do our due diligence.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:18 PM

So reading this thread, it looks like some of you give Heartgard every 5-6 weeks. I normally give Fasb one Heartgard tablet a month. Just realized he's due this week (Friday will be 31 days since last dose), but we're out of town (Fasb is with us) for the next 9 days.

I don't have a dose with me. I'd like to wait until we get home to give him his next dose. Anyone see a problem with waiting a week?