Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Feeling inadequate as a handler

Discussion in 'Agility' started by labgirl, Mar 21, 2014.

1. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I don't think I should have watched all the agility at Crufts, I saw all these amazing handlers and desperately wanted to be like them. Instead my handling feels clumsy. Last couple of classes and at Henham (I will post video later), I just haven't been able to get Merlin round a course successfully, there have been so many mistakes, I feel so frustrated.

I know my anxiety is bad at the moment and I am probably being too hard on myself. One of the judges at Beachside has even complimented my handling, but since then I seem to have gone downhill.

Today I tried to slow down and act really calm on the course to improve things. Instead I made Merlin worse, he stopped listening and my trainer told me to return to normal because I was worrying Merlin. He isn't used to me being calm and quiet!

I have bought a DVD by a top handler to practice my handling and I have two sessions coming up over the summer with Crufts agility winner Helen Anderson, which I hope will help. I guess I've just lost my confidence and every time I run a course and make an error it gets worse. Sigh:no:

Feels like I am making no progress at the moment.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    So here's how I justify what I see on TV. Those people have HOURS and HOURS and backyards to practice in. They make up fancy stuff because they CAN.

My trainer tries to teach me stuff like that, and after we practice, I ask her "OK, now how do we handle this in real life"? Then we argue. That's just how it goes. I try to keep my handling as simple and plain and clear as possible. I've come a long way in the past year, I think, and along with a significant weight loss (to the point people who hadn't seen me in a while recognized my dog, but not me!) I am finally getting smoother and not feeling so out of control. My motto at a trial "we didn't suck." Somewhere I have that shirt, "Suck Less, Train More"

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Sometimes in life, no matter what we do, we overthink, we over compensate, we replay everything over and over and over. This creates worry and anxiety. I don't do agility, though I would love to. Take a deep breath and relax. Start having fun again, like you did at first. Once the fun is gone, it becomes a chore, which it what it sounds like it has become. Merlin is picking up on that.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    maybe go back to short sequences and build back up to full courses..........
    that way you can reward when you both do a section well and get back to where you were:yes:

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Watching Crufts and judging yourself against what you see is setting the bar really, really high. I suspect for most of the people who make that level of competition it is the main focus and time sink of the lives. And even the best have days when absolutely nothing goes right...all you have to do is watch the Olympics to see how often that happens.

You will get back on track. If you can go in with the mental set that you are going to enjoy the course and that you don't have to be perfect, things will start to flow smoothly again.

Trini

6. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks for all your responses. I feel better today. I made a point of going over in my mind all the things we did right yesterday and reminding myself how far we have come. After all this time last year Merlin wouldn't go near an a-frame and I was almost thinking we would never be able to do a full agility course, but with trial and error I found a way that worked for him to learn the a-frame and now I can't keep him off it.

So deep breaths and focus on the positive, and yes I need to remember this is for fun, I love running Merlin and whether we do the course right or wrong the important thing is we have fun.

I've had a very pleasant afternoon building my first set of jump wings, so I can train short sequences at home and practice my lefts and rights. I'm going to keep training sessions very short, lots of reinforcement and get my clicker out.

Yes, I think we need to work on short sections and hone those rather than worrying about the full courses.

I'm feeling much more positive, told myself to stop over thinking everything, work on my basics and, of course, have FUN.

Thanks guys:hugs

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Glad things are brighter today. It is so easy to forget how much progress has been made...Merlin has come a LONG way since last year...Kudos to you and to him for that progress!!

Trini

8. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thank you Trini:smile2:

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    do I know how you feel!!

I have been trying to learn threadles forever , I mess everything up, always use the wrong arm, too late and not sure where my course is, lol. I am a big girl and never look smooth, despite some good efforts LOL
    Now since I moved I have to work with a new instructor and my old one said, oh awesome, another teacher trying to teach ya a proper threadle, LOL
    so I'm hopeless, but good thing my dog saves my butt and I do know people like you and I are doing our best to have fun, so kick your inner Eeyore and do what you did: relax train and resolve, smaller sequences and concentrate on you and your dog, instead of comparing yourself to others who indeed have years and years of experience and hours and hours of practice a day

OR that is what I tell myself, when I am hard on myself
    :hugs

10. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thanks Irene, I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes think when I get an instruction about handling it goes in one ear and right out the other. :rolleyes2:
    I've decided to take it all less seriously. When things go wrong just treat that as something to work through, after all where's the fun in being perfect?

Besides, all that matters is that waggy Sheltie tail at the end of a run.