Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Ears Experiement

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Mom2Melli, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    As I have said, I got outvoted on glue. Dad & my Mom say NO, adamantly. However, I did get them to allow me to weight them down with furniture pads. Husband bought some and then I found some on the big A which seem stickier. The first batch last about 6-8 hours so each day after morning zoomies are over, he gets a 3/4" felt pad to each ear. They fall off sometime in the evening. The one that was tipped doesn't pull further down and the one that was poking up folds exactly like the other one. I take them off at night (crating choking hazard). We are VERY vigilant to find any pad that falls off. Not easy being beige! They stay tipped overnight and the next morning they are still tipped. I am hoping this works in the long run because he looks so much better with them both tipped. I plan to do it daily til I run out (bulk 2 packs of 60) and then see if they stay or pop up. He's almost 22 weeks now and the ear has been poky for about 3. I don't care if they are up, better down, one of each not my plan. So far -- we have gone from this to this.

So far . . . no irritation in the ears, but I am watching. He will get a day off on Wed which is class day each week too. We will see, he is what he is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I love him with tipped ears, but either way he'll be adorable. Let me know how the felt pads go! We glued Ruutu's for a solid year and his still aren't perfectly tipped. They're tipped, but not perfectly. It's funny though because some of his siblings have awesome ears and they were never touched but some also went straight up. Gotta love the times of tipping ears! I just told hubs yesterday he has 8 more weeks then we're back to gluing for a year :hide

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    OK I am confused, no to gluing and taping but ok to put furniture pads on their ears?!?????????:confused2:

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I was wondering the same thing. Although I didn't see a "no" to tape. You can get a lot accomplished with some Japanese tape and a cooperative puppy. Plus it lasts longer than furniture pads.

5. Sparta

Sparta Forums Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    Norway
    Furniture pads? That's new! :lol:
    Sparta has to make due with regular chewing gum, that's what's recommended by most breeders (seeing as glueing isn't common here). Blue-tack and other sticky stuff like it works, too. It stays in for at least a week before it loosens and eventually falls out, but I've usually picked hers out once they look like they're about to fall. Sparta's ears aren't the easily tipped kind, though - if they could, they'd take off and fly away.
    Good luck with the pads, though! Hope it works for you! :yes:

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yep. Husband and Grandma are NO!!!! to glue. However, sticking something to weight them down for a 1/3 of a day seems to be OK in their eyes. Actually, I got a NO vote on that too, but since we looked like we were getting stuck with one up one down, they recanted a little bit and compromised in hopes they will be equal. Still NO to glue, but if weighting will make them become equal, so be it. Husband majorly put his foot down about glue, even though (or maybe because) he is a gluemaster having spent most of his life gluing models of all types and building RC planes/jets. Just sticking something for part of the day and removing it seems to be a decent compromise.

I can't do gum because I have 2 other dogs and 3 cats and all the animals are quite touchy-feeling with each other. Blue tack sounds great, but I am certain I would find it in the carpet or in someone else's fur.

Someone somewhere suggested felt furniture pads and I thought I would give it a go.

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    You need to do what you feel is the right thing to do with your dog. If the furniture pads work, why not?

8. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Hi to all!

My breeder recomended me to use glycerine, I never believed it could be as a miracle, but it is!! :eek2:

I was gluing my puppies ears for months and it was a nightmare, both puppies pulled each other ears and unglued them, and those parts without fur....a mess of glue in their heads....it was horrible! :gaah

After that I was tipping their ears with blue-tack but they found it delicious...or so I suppose, because the following day it desappeared.....

You can buy the Glycerine in a drug store, here in Spain in a Farmacia.....it's an oil that you have to use only in the tip of each ear (only 1/3) inside and outside. And repeat when you see it dryes....for example each 2 days....

I recomend you to use this oil and please tell me the good results that you obtain.....and it doesn't damage the skin! :smile2:

9. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    I think the furniture pads are an awesome idea! Hopefully they will tip his ears. They look great with the furniture pads

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have heard some suggest it as a transition after gluing. Mostly free but a little weight for a bit longer.

Glycerine? I will have to find out what this is in the United States.