Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:33 AM

Default Waving the white flag, whoooped!

I tried but could not sustain my energy - it hasn't been a week yet, but what a whirlwind of activity. I knew it would be a challenge to my beautiful life!

So yesterday after an early morning training session with Justus (and Flyer's introduction to the obedience building) - I chilled/relaxed around the house, got laundry started and even cooked dinner (love the crock pot) for a friend. After that, I sat down *for just a minute* which turned into a nap lasting 6 solid hours. I couldn't believe Flyer was quiet in the pen that long! He was sacked out too!

Anyway, got up to take him out, and sat back down. OPPPS.... fell asleep iwth my glasses on, and woke up this morning, I had left the back door open, all the lights and tv were on, and all three dogs were loose!!!!

I really expected to find pee and poop everywhere, the dog food bag tipped over (Justus is quite the counter surfer...) and chaos and desctruction...

At least a bleeding puppy or Lhasa Apso...

Nothing out of place, floors clean, and Flyer and Justus laying next to each other on the floor in front of the open back door ... with Lily guarding the entry to the kitchen.

Not going to let that happen again, but glad I was puppy proofed enough to have no exposed electrical wires (laptop, tv, etc...) and puppy food well up high.

Good boy Uncle Justus, you must have taken puppy out to potty, or ... I just haven't stepped in it yet. ;)

Won't let this happen again, setting alarms for every 4 hours, puppy up - puppy outside, puppy back in the pen, doors closed and locked. (fenced backyard, with padlocked gates)
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:50 AM

That sounds like something that would happen to me... although I think my two would take every opportunity to get into everything they could! No harm done. Good work Justus! ... and good work with the puppy proofing!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:22 AM

Wow. Good job Lily & Justus! You need that rest. It will get better in, oh, a year. Sigh.
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:27 AM

Wow, you really must have needed that rest. I can relate. Saturday night I think I was in bed before 8:30 and fast asleep in about 30 seconds. It's a huge adjustment to have to deal with and raise a puppy. I'm finally feeling a little more normal.

Here's to making it through the next 6 or so months!

We can do it!!!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:40 AM

I am thinking about hiring the neighbor kid to come take puppy out if I get that tired again! All the excitement is wearing off and coming back down to earth, we will find our routine and it will be OK...

I start back to agility class on Tuesday night this week, can't wait to show him off to the teacher, who is a sheltie guy! Wednesday a breeder is going to look at him and tell me if it looks like I could show him in UKC breed competitions (he has this natural stack!!!) a venue I've not tried, but would like to. Obedience classes begin after Labor Day.

Flyer is a real "crier" in his crate. I'm using kongs, and other food dispensing toys but it doesn't always placate him. I guess he will soon simmer down and get with the program, my other dogs did. Except perfect puppy Justus, he never did cry in his crate.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GoodDogs View Post

Flyer is a real "crier" in his crate. I'm using kongs, and other food dispensing toys but it doesn't always placate him. I guess he will soon simmer down and get with the program, my other dogs did. Except perfect puppy Justus, he never did cry in his crate.
Lacey is discovering her voice and complaining about the pen off and on. You just reminded me about the kong. I just gave her a filled bone and I'll see if that helps keep her busy for a while.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:20 PM

Hee Hee Hee -- I love watching you lasties in your misery, er, joy. Lack of sleep, accidents, finding the voice, land sharks, uncontrolled zoomies, adjusting to routines. LOVE IT!

We have our routine . . . zoomies twice a day, training twice a day, lots of couch time, lick not knaw on us, quiet time in the crate, FINALLY not only playing with Melli (aka mauling) but playing with Shay (and the angels sing in sheer happiness Shay has been won over), and the puppy and go up and down the stairs by himself without being carried!

I finally, after 8 weeks, feel like it is getting better and easier. And in just under 2 weeks . . . we hit the road! And in 5 weeks . . . we blend into my favorite trainer's obedience classes. He will be ready too! We are training hard!

Enjoy / endure your little ones. Sadly / thankfully it is over SOON!
Shaman Von Raesfeld - GSD Mix 02/06/11-- Aussies at Bridge: Quasar, Holly, & Mayson
Old Aug 25, 2014, 08:18 PM

Enzo would bark in his crate as well. I think we're starting to get over it, though. Now every time I put him in I give him a yummy treat that takes him a while to finish, like this chicken jerky stuff I got, or a lambs ear. That helps settle him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Melli View Post
Enjoy / endure your little ones. Sadly / thankfully it is over SOON!
So perfectly stated, lol