Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does anyone else have a dog with itchy ears?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Abby's Dad, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    Abby's ears are still a major problem. Mainly just itchy, red, inflammed.

We have been to her regular vet back when it started in Oct. and got wash and mometamax drops. Reappeared in Dec., same treatment. Reappeared in Feb., same treatment. Went to a Hollistic vet March 1st and got Traumeel drops ....they help but not as good as the mometamax. We saw a dermatologist in Feb. also who put her on benadryl which did nothing. She shakes her head w/o drops and shakes her head with drops. She also developed a rash under her armpit. That was treated with powder.

She had nice solid poops for 6 weeks then diarrhea returned last Sat. Its nothing she eats or ate when i'm not looking.

Her food is California Natural. It does not appear to be food related because she can go 6 weeks w/o any problems.

What else can I do? I feel sooooo bad its like i'm doing nothing...but trying hard to find a solution. Where do I take her now?

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    allergies maybe ?

3. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Yes i know the problem well, we are going to an allergist today. Max is shaking his head, scratching his ears etc. we know he has allergies, but our allergist stopped practicing. Max has been on and off cortisone for allergies, but now he is having reactions. I'll let you know how we make out. Is there any odor?

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Sounds like yeast. :ick

5. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    I just went through a short ear infection episode with our Bentley. It cleared with no issues, but our other Shelties were having other issues (Zoey was biting herself constantly and Murphy would dig at his ears) so I decided to switch them back to a grain-free high quality kibble and guess what??? All their issues have now resolved. I've read that many dogs can develop allergies to grains in their diet or to some other ingredients. I, personally, am not a big fan of California Natural. Prefer Innova or Canadae brands.

I also just got this fabulous ear cleaner from K-9 Liquid Health. Amazon has the best price: http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-K9-Ear-Solutions/dp/B000OUY5L6
    Very good ingredients for tackling just about any ear issue.

Question. Do you bathe your Sheltie or take him to the groomer? Got to make sure you plug their ears with cotton before bath time to help keep the water and soap out.

6. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

I would have the thyroid checked as well.

7. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    thank you, thank you!!! PLEASE let me know..

No odor, just plain itchy.

8. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    Thank you - was checked.

9. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    [QUOTE=lovemyshelties;219653]I just went through a short ear infection episode with our Bentley. It cleared with no issues, but our other Shelties were having other issues (Zoey was biting herself constantly and Murphy would dig at his ears) so I decided to switch them back to a grain-free high quality kibble and guess what??? All their issues have now resolved. I've read that many dogs can develop allergies to grains in their diet or to some other ingredients. I, personally, am not a big fan of California Natural. Prefer Innova or Canadae brands.

California natural is grain free

I also just got this fabulous ear cleaner from K-9 Liquid Health. Amazon has the best price: http://www.amazon.com/For-Animals-K9-Ear-Solutions/dp/B000OUY5L6
    Very good ingredients for tackling just about any ear issue.

Will stain hair, carpet,walls??? kinda scarry:eek2:

Question. Do you bathe your Sheltie or take him to the groomer? Got to make sure you plug their ears with cotton before bath time to help keep the water and soap out.[/QUOTE]

I bath her and her ears do not get wet.

10. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    Chris - she had ear cytology 3 times with 3 different vets - $25.76 each time. no yeast, bacteria. She has also been on vibrant pets again and no signs of improvement in 6 weeks.