Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When Rescue Goes Wrong

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Ann, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This is a well-written account of Piper, the Champion Sheltie still being held under bizarre conditions after three long months by an Ohio rescue group. It's a glaring example of what can happen even when the owner, who is also the breeder in this case, does everything right.

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/when-a-rescue-goes-wrong/

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    That's theft far as I'm concerned - ridiculous that she still does not have her dog back!

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Thank you for posting, Ann. I have been following this story. It is scary. Unfortunately, it is not the first nor likely the last who will end up in this situation. Hoping Piper is soon home. It is unfortunate that it takes litigation.

4. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I've read about Piper on and off again in the past couple months. It's such a shame that it has came this far. There is no reason for them not to give her back. It definitely scares me as an owner that a rescue would do such a thing.

5. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    If you read through Ann's cited post, it's probably conversion rather than theft. The importance of this legal nit picking is it points to the legal quagmire that surrounds this case.

On one of the other SN threads, someone mentioned how much better Shelties/Sheltie owners fare if they deal with breed specific shelters/rescues. After seeing how Central Ohio SR has acted in this, whadda think now?

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I think the problem here is multi-faceted, and there's no simple answer. There are rescue organizations that do wonderful work and save the lives of dogs who otherwise would be euthanized, or left to their fate with people who abuse them.

Unfortunately, the popularity of "rescue" has given rise to some rogue groups who may have different agendas than what is best for the dog. Or a rescue/shelter that doesn't vet its volunteers may include someone on a power trip.

Clearly, there are bad rescues just as there are bad breeders. I don't know what the answer is. As breeders, we send our puppies off to homes we believe will be their forever family. We include contracts we hope are ironclad that stipulate if the owner is not able to keep the dog, it is to be returned to us before family members, friends, or anyone else. We're not unreasonable -- if a family member wants the dog and can care for it, of course we're happy to see that resolution. We do this to avoid having the dog sold to an unsuitable home or ending up in a shelter. We want to make sure our precious puppies are always safe with people who love them, who we know are able to take care of them.

Situations like these and the one in California demonstrate that there are no guarantees for breeders, owners, legitimate rescue organizations, etc. Things go wrong. People are unpredictable. All we can do is to take every safeguard possible for our dogs, be absolutely certain that we entrust their care to people who will treat them as their own when we have to leave them, and hope we've done enough.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Ann: I totally AGREE with this. Unfortunately, a few horror stories tend to shape our reality. I think some time ago I mentioned that I did some short term volunteer work (administrative not hands-on) for two rescue units. One in Indiana and one in Ohio because I travel back and forth. Because of that, I am unlikely to EVER get a dog from ONE of these two rescues. You can assume which one that is.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    It's not just Shelties who don't get to go home - it happens to other breeds as well.

What this has done has made me make sure all my microchip information is up to date with the microchip company and with my vet.

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I have the vet scan the microchip at annual exams to make sure it can still be read, and then I get on the microchip website and make sure all my contact information is accurate. I also have the AKC Reunite tag on Missy and I also make sure that is up-to-date. This past year I changed offices and ended up with a new extension, so that was one of the things I completely forgot about, but since I checked the websites, I was able to update it.

There's a lot of things going on recently that I find absolutely terrifying to think about. It seems as if even if we do everything right as dog owners, we still might have to fight to get our dogs back.

10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Kidnap a family member of mine at your own peril and yes Sca and Spitfire are family. Kudos to all those that helped in case #1 though.