Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gypsy is incontinent again!

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by dawns2shelties, Apr 6, 2012.

1. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

A couple weeks ago Gypsy starting leaking when she got up suddenly to bark at something. Once or twice she wet herself while laying there. At 18 mos she had this issue and it was controlled woth meds for quite awhile but when diagnosed with KD I stopped it and she has been ok.

I thought she was leaking due to maybe too much fluids and cut back but when I spoke to the vet he said to increase fluids again to 200 other day but she leaks than, so we decided 100 every day. He suspected it was her sphincter muscle but wanted to delay starting meds. Well the last 2 days she has no control at all! Emptying her bladder while laying there several times throughout the day. I did not give her fluids yesterday just to see how she did and it continued through the night and this morning. I am taking her to the vet but her new vet is not in so I am seeing another. She currently also has an our=tbreak on her Belly so this can't feel too good on those sores.

Thank God for Rapid Bath attachment in my shower. It sure makes cleaning her up easier.

Please say a prayer for her, with her BUN at 100 this really concerns me. I will also have them check for infection but this was happening when she had her last urine test and there were no signs of infection and I have seen no blood when wiping her off immediately after she goes. I am keeping a puppy pad under her and can usually see blood on them when this is the case. :(

I should also add the last week or so she has had an odor different from the odor of skin disease and I did not like the way she looked lastnight. Her eyes seemed very glassy and watery to me. I am hoping the look in her eyes is just the embarrassment she feels from her leaking. My girl is not very happy right now that's for sure.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm sorry Gypsy is not feeling well :(. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

3. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Poor baby.

Gypsy, you are on my heart and in my prayers. (just did a "down on my knees" one for you).

Note: Mally sends over some of his big "sheltie kisses" for you and your Mommy.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    In my prayers Dawn.

5. Dexter'sMom

Dexter'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011
    Ottawa Ont Canada
    Sending prayers & hugs to you both !
    :hugs

6. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Hi Dawn: I sent you a PM.

7. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Prayers and hugs for you and Gypsy.:hugs

8. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Dawn, so sorry to hear about poor Gypsy. I hope it's just the return of the spay incontinence, and nothing linked to her other illnesses.

If you're looking for a natural way to help the incontinence, I've had great success with Hadley's incontinence using corn silk. There's also another product I want to try that's holistic and natural called Plantago Homicord. You can get it on zooscape.com. The corn silk works about 90% of the time so I'm hoping this will be 100% of the time!

Best of luck and well wishes being sent your way.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Dawn....I had Chloe on Proin when she was incontinent and it actually strengthened her muscle enough so that she could now hold her urine.

I am not sure if it is OK with all of Gypsy's issues going on, but it worked wonders for us. Maybe ask your vet about it.

10. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

The estriadol seemed to do the same for Gypsy. I haven't used it in over a year atleast.