Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The lines do tell!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by BarbV, Nov 9, 2013.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Today I was at the Pet expo show in Ottawa. I was amazed at the number of Shelties. Out to the corner of my eye I saw a Sheltie with Bacca's face and colour. I approached the owners and sure enough, they are cousins somewhere down the line. Different breeder so don't know whether it was the sire or dam line that is so obvious. Some sharing of Laureate, Shelhaven, etc.

I've seen this before with my breeders dogs 200 km away from home. Heard a bark. Thought it sounded like my dog. Then saw a Sheltie....wtf? Why is my dog here?.....same breeder different dog.

All to say that some lines just have a distinctive look, don't you think? Breeders? Can you tell a dog just by looking at them? Or is unique to my geography?

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I have seen Sheltie pictures and can tell if they are related to mine down the line somewhere. The look seems to follow down lines.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Recently we were in Nashville, TN for agility nationals. Our dogs are from a breeder in SC. We were approached by a woman who said "I know you!" I had never seen her before. Turns out she was talking to the dogs! She said, "you are Coastal (our breeder) dogs. I can tell by your beautiful expressions". I was super impressed!

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yep you can.

I have a friend in the Bahamas(her husband is from MN) who has a blue Merle sheltie named Odie. I have always thought he looked a lot like Birch. He is 1 month older then Birch. One day I could not stand it after she posted a picture on FB. So I asked her what is his pedigree.

Turns out Odie is Ada(Birch' mom) half brother from same dad. He was from a breeder in Florida. Ada is from Michigan. Birch has always favored his mother look not Grizz. So it made sense. I have had similar conversations with people over the years with people who have dogs from lines I am familiar with.

I have also notice the barks being the same in related dogs too. Ember and Pike are identical. Pikes' Dad is Embers' great grandsire. Hope, Divas' mom, sounds almost identical too. The same dog is her grandsire.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    One day I got an email and had no clue who it was from, but it had a picture of a very cute sheltie named Doughnut. I kept saying "That looks just like Sarah!". It was a lot lighter than her, but had the same head, body, and fur type. Come to find out the email was from Sarah's breeder, and not only are they litter mates, but that was the puppy I wanted!:lol: His litter name was Mitt. He turned into quite the handsome fellow. But we got the dog for my mom and she wanted a girl, oh well. It always seems like I fall in love with boy puppies even before I know their gender!:rolleyes2:

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

The thing unique about Bacca's line is what I call the Eeyore face and the colouring....tending towards red sable. It's Laureate, Shelhaven, for the most part.....but it also extends back to other lines obviously.

It is hard to describe. Super soft eyes, relaxed mouth. Strong build (some tendency to go over size...llike my boy) But such gorgeous dogs!

When I saw Shelamo dog today......I just new they were related somewehere.

Attached Files:

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I used to have that with the show Himi's (cats). I could tell cats from my breeder and my cat's particular line within the breeder.

I even cracked up a lady at a show a couple years after I quit. I walked up and gave the "I have one just like your cat at home". Before the lady could launch into the "I am sure your cat is cute and I'm so glad you rescued a cat from the shelter but this is a very special lineage" I told her my cat who she knew by name as related to hers. In this case, I DID have one just like it at home.

Dog lines certainly could be the same kind of recognizeable.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I wish I could say that was true, but we ran into Deska's breeder recently and I must say neither recognised the other. Although she was showing one of Deska's nephews and Deska seemed to recognise family - the only resemblance between the two was the cheeky grin but you had to know to see it. Tully on the other hand, when I say she is a Tooneybank to breeders they usually say they can see it (Tooneybank is an old kennel).

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    That is very true. Each line has a different look, and you can definitely see it in the dog. Sometimes it's subtle, but it's there. We can always tell a Rabbit Run or Shelhaven dog. The expression is so specific.

The more Shelties you look at, the more you will notice the differences. You really see it at dog shows!

10. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    The best example of this that I know of is the Mi Sha Ook Belgians (groenendael variety). Skip and Elsie's dogs were clearly able to be seen in a specialty of 200 dogs. The type that they stamped was indeed true to what their vision of what a Belgian should be. Considering they bred dogs for over 50 years, that is an amazing tribute.