Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Grooming
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:47 PM

Default He suddendly hates the dremel

Casey has always been pretty tolerant of the dremel for his nails. However for the last few weeks he just about refuses to let me dremel. He bites at the dremel and I have nightmares of him grabbing it and the dremel buzzing around in his mouth. He has gotten bad about letting me trim the fur on his pads also, guess it is a foot thing. Anyone ever had one suddenly hate the dremel?
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:36 AM

I've had this happen, but it's after I've gone too close and nicked a quick. I usually resort to clipping nails for a few trims and then gradually reintroduce the dremel. You may need to go back to the beginning and just do one nail at a time, give a treat, etc. When I started back, I could only do one foot a day.

I found it's much easier to sit on the floor and lay the dog on its back between your legs. You can scratch the tummy and get them relaxed first. I also trim between the pads that way. When I first teach them to have their nails done, I just put them in the position on the floor for a few days first with treats and scratching so they get used to it, then start nails gradually. Maybe that will help Casey get over his dremel issue.

The other thing to consider is that something is bothering him. Are his pads OK? Dry or cracked? Make sure nothing hurts. Try handling his paws when you're not doing nails to see how he reacts.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I

I found it's much easier to sit on the floor and lay the dog on its back between your legs. You can scratch the tummy and get them relaxed first.
Wish I could do this with Hanna. It would make nail trims a lot easier, but the best I can get is her side. Unlike my other shelties she never sleeps on her back and I've never been able to lure her to roll over.

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJHUNTL View Post
Wish I could do this with Hanna. It would make nail trims a lot easier, but the best I can get is her side. Unlike my other shelties she never sleeps on her back and I've never been able to lure her to roll over.
Mine aren't always happy about it either. You kind of have to just pick them up once you're sitting, flip them over and brace them between your legs. Once they're used to it, they're OK with it. It does make doing nails so much easier -- for one thing, you can see them better! My eyesight is terrible and that makes a big difference.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks Ann. I will just have to start over. I have the dremel & nail clippers out and plan to just do a little reintroduction sometime today. I hadn't thought of trimming the fur on his pads with him laying on his back between my legs, that's how I "attempt" the dremel. Might try to with the trimming.

Kim & Casey
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:01 PM

My puppy had a sudden aversion to having his nails and pads trimmed too. It was right after he got neutered (apparently they cut his nails when they put him under...) Before then, he was perfectly happy to lie there and let me do my thing. But afterwards, oh man. It's been a struggle ever since. It's actually scary to cut his nails now, even with cuddling and petting and treats, because he twists and turns and tries to bite the clipper or my hands. Even with my husband it can take 30 minutes just for one paw. We've decided to just take him to the groomers for his trims until we can somehow find a solution to it all...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:13 PM

I was going to suggest a reintro again. Sometimes when bad stuff happens, you have to go back to 101. I'm surprised though that you got the quick with the Dremel. Was it a dreaded black nail?

Like Ann, I do have a grooming table, but I find it easier to do feet in a leg lock on the floor.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)