Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

He is whinning and wont stop!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by JessicaR, Apr 17, 2012.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Dusty has always been a whiner but he has gotten worse about it. Its not a normal whine it is a high pitched whistle like whine. He whines while we are in the car, while we are walking, and during obedience classes. :gaah

In the van it is almost non stop, we have tried crating, not crating, covering the crate, toys, treats ect... nothing works.

When we walk its the same thing whine, whine, whine... it is so annoying

Training class for 4H same thing he whines while he is doing stays, and while heeling. It has gotten to the point where my 16 y/o son is so frustrated and tired of the whinning that he said Sunday either he trains a different dog or he quits 4H.

We dont know why he is doing this. I dont think he is anxious, because he loves to go for rides, and he loves to come to obedience class. Its just once it starts the whistling begins. If we leave him home he crys and howls.

2. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    Have you talked to the vet? He could be in some kind of pain. Just a thought. Hope it changes for you. But like my husband says "Having a dog in the house is like having a toddler". Some kids just whine and cry all the time. They do grow out of it. :confused2:

3. JessicaR

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    Yes he has been to the vet and he is very healthy, hips have even been x-rayed. I dont think he is going to outgrow it, he is 3 years old.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I know you said you don't think it's anxiety, but I wonder if you would try a Thundershirt or something similar to see if it helps at all?

Also, you could try treating it like barking. Reward quiet moments, or even ask for a competitive behavior, like "speak".

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Is this sad? I saw the title and wondered if it was an old one I had posted or something. Koji is the same way.....maybe not quite as bad though.

What makes him stop whining? I think that's a good first step to figuring out what he needs. Or how to fix it.

i.e. Koji will stare at us, in the house, and whine. Why? Because he wants to be up on the couch with us, snuggled between our legs in a ball.
    Koji will whine when we're at a trial. Why? Multiple reasons. He wants to be the one running. He wants to be held (what a baby!). He wants treats.
    Koji will whine for food, for attention, but usually, he wants to be held.

Trust me, I totally understand what you're going through. It's so frustrating. And I get more frustrated because usually he literally wants to be held. What kind of dog whines to be held? Crazy pup.

Good luck to you and your son. I'm glad Dusty is physically healthy though. That's good to hear. Maybe you can try to figure out what he wants. He must want something. Hmm....pet psychic?

6. JessicaR

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    I am not sure what he wants :confused2: He gets all kinds of attention especially at the training class. He loves everyone (he has never met anyone he doesnt like) and gets along with all the dogs, and since he listens so well he even gets to run around off leash. I do notice he whines more when he is on leash, but we cant let him off leash all the time especially during our walks.

He is the most obedient and happy dog, but he whines all the time. I dont know maybe its just his way of talking. It only bugs me when he does it when i am driving, but it drives my son nuts. He even jerked the leash during training because he was mad.

I will have to get a thunder shirt and try that, it definitly couldnt hurt.

7. lovemyshelties

lovemyshelties Forums Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2011
    Crofton, MD
    Not sure what to say...

We have three Shelties. The most recent addition is a 5-6 year old we adopted in January 2011. He came from a breeder and didn't get out much so he whines a lot on car rides, but usually only to the place we're going, not coming home. I know what you mean about it getting on your nerves. Murphy drives us crazy and we only have to deal with this in the car! I can't imagine what we'd do if he started doing it all the time. AND he is a barker --- when he's happy and playing, and when he sees another dog that isn't a sheltie, so we are trying to train that out of him with not much success.

I feel your pain. Wish I had a miracle cure for both of our issues!

8. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm just thinking out loud. If it's more pronounced on a leash, or when he's say, confined, or cant do what he wants (like in a boxed off area, or a car, on lead, etc), I wonder if he whines because he wants to be off leash and free to roam around and "visit" and "love" everyone. ;)

Maybe pay more attention to what he wants and what stops it. I think that'll help you figure out at least what he's whining so much about.

Like I said, Koji will stand and stare at us whining because he wants to be held. We're not sure if he wants food, to go out, etc. Heck, at 2-4am every night, Koji stands at the end of my bed and whines. Nope, he doesn't want to go out. He wants to lie on the other side of me (where the edge of the bed is). So I have to scoot over and allow him to come curl up against my body. Seriously, it's the only thing that stops him. And at 2-4am, I'm not one to train him, lol.

But once we figured it out, it's easier to deal with. Either I give in, or I wait him out. once he stops, then I'll cuddle with him. It just depends on my tolerance that day.

Do you have any other dogs your son can work with in 4H?

9. Maida

Maida Forums Regular

Jul 31, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Whining

Dear Jessica, have you had Dusty since he was a puppy or has he been in a home other than the breeder's? If he whines because he wants attention, just wondering if he feels insecure for some reason. We adopted our latest Sheltie (actually a mix, we have figured out) from a rescue and he is the only one who has ever really whined very much. Thankfully, it is not all the time, just once in awhile, but for about two days it was a lot, so I can only imagine how hard it is to live with Dusty. I wondered at first why Ritchie was whining, but I believe it is just for some attention or he feels lonely.

We are retired, so someone is almost always home with him, plus we already had our Sheltie Christopher here and they just LOVE each other and play an awful lot. So, really I don't know why Ritchie ever needs to feel lonely. We have had other Shelties who did kind of cry or even howl when they missed one of us (leaving the house without them, etc.) but again, none have ever whined an awful lot, like Dusty seems to. I am guessing Dusty is your only dog now. We have always had at least two Shelties at a time, except for a month at most when one has to go on to Heaven.

Well, I wish you luck with whatever you try with Dusty.

Maida, owned by sweet Christopher and Ritchie, and my eight wonderful little angel Shelties:fl

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

My first thought was the thundershirt as well. Fine for travel, not so much for obedience training.

I think K9Creation hit it.....I think you need to find what STOPS in from whining and then you will ultimately find the trigger.

In the meantime, the worse thing you can do is give him attention when he is whining because that will simply reinforce the behaviour.

I know....easier said then done!