Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

It's official, Miko is deaf or going deaf

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by k9kreationz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    That is so sad Cheryl. My thoughts are with you.

2. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I never thought of that! That's a really good idea!

3. romeosangiovese

romeosangiovese Forums Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008
    Singapore
    I'm sure you and Miko will find a way to continue leading life as before! I wonder if Koji realizes Miko's handicap. Do you notice if he runs to his line of vision more often now to get his attention?

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks everyone. Since typically I just talk to him anyways, I doubt things will change much. He's always been really responsive to hand signals, and now I realize why he does things for me and not hubby. lol. Because I always do the hand signals when I am with him. Must be habit, because I don't do it that much with Koji. I'm thinking this transition will be easy. I just need to think about things, like when I'm telling him to come to me, now I need to add in my hand signal again.

Y'know, I don't know. I'll have to pay more attention to they're interactions. Knowing Koji, he probably has no clue. He's kinda ignorant to doggie body language and things going on around him. lol.

I'm going to create another post about Miko's test results. So look for that later. Thanks for all the support everyone. This is why I'm so glad I found this board, especially before anything happened with Miko. I guess my old man is getting...well....old. He'll be 14 in 2 month. :) Here's to many more years....deaf or not, it doesn't matter.

5. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Angel was deaf. We don't exactly know when she went deaf. We lost our Golden Retriever when Angel was 11. That's when we, to our surprise found out Angel was deaf. She had adapted by following what the other dog did. Without Sierra, she wouldn't come when we called her...didn't bark at the door bell... It's truely amazing how she had adjusted.

I woke her up by stroking her lightly. We got Lexi 3 months later and they were great together.

Good luck with the test results. Let us know as soon as you find out. Hugs!

Attached Files:

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I honestly wouldn't have been able to tell if Miko woke up when we called his name. That's the only reason I knew. Okay, I also thought about it when I noticed Miko barked at the door AFTER Koji started. He's the one that used to initiate it (and taught it to Koji, ugh).

Love the photo. They are sooo cute!

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Our barn cat, age 20, has been completely deaf for years. She's adapted totally. The only difference as others have said is that you have to be in her line of vision to get her attention. Other than that, she just meows much more loudly now!

Miko will surprise you with his resilience, I'm sure. It is truly amazing how animals adapt to these things.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Cheryl, I've never had to work with a deaf dog but I just wanted to offer my support. You'll definitely adapt to communicate with Miko effectively. You may also want to show so of Miko's hand signals to hubby so he doesn't get frustrated with the old man.

9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Callie has hearing issues- some real, some selective:wink2:
    she knows some hand signals but again- she has to be looking at you. I have used a flashlight in the yard at night to signal her to come in. works most of the time.....

all three were outside this evening when I was getting their dinners ready. I was being quiet on purpose because I wanted to have things mostly ready when they all came in. so the last bowl, I made noise with the kibble so they would come in- uess who is first in- yep, the old deaf dog:winkgrin:
    I had to go to the door and call the pups:yes: