Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What has your Sheltie destroyed?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by celloyogi, Oct 16, 2012.

1. dblock

dblock Forums Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011
    philadelphia
    Her nick name is "Ferret"

That just made me laugh out loud

2. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    omg
    love this thread!
    T was pretty tame as a pup, just a wicker chair, corners of floorboard, toilet paper and his baby blankets. He's just good as gold now. I have even left chocolate on the coffee table and he never took it... but that is always my mistake, I don't ever expect any dog to be that good... but a few times I forgot to move it and they were still there. Maybe he didn't notice.

I have to say that bitter apple spray worked for the floor board and wicker chair addiction

3. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Years ago I had two shelties Lady and Pal. This happened just once. They were left alone for six hours. I opened the front door and I saw a ransacked house. All newspapers were shredded and scattered in the living room. My new couch and love seat had their corners chewed off. The sheep skin throw rug was ripped to pieces. They went upstairs into my closet and chewed three pairs of shoes, one purse and one belt. After rampaging through the house they went into the basement and flung kitty litter all over. They also dug holes in the living room carpet. I could only sit on the floor and laugh, I think I was in shock.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby's thing is wood. She has chewed the arm of a chair, wood molding around the fire place, the bottom of our curio cabinet, longaberger basket, the baseboard molding,multiple books, and even the wall (through the walls of her crate). She is much better now and no longer chews things that are not hers.

However she is very sneaky around food. She knows when you are not looking and it is gone. One Christmas we thought she picked up a cookie from the floor- wrong hubby caught her standing on her back legs and stealing cookies from the table without touching the table. And this has not improved. Just this past weekend we were camping and while eveyone was sitting at the fire Shelby snuck over to the table and tried to steal the hot dogs. She also stole the pumpkin guts and stuck her head into the pumpkin my MIL was carving and was chewing on the pumpkin. She is so quiet you do not realize she is even there.

5. celloyogi

celloyogi Forums Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2012
    southeast MI
    :yuckyuck:lol::yuckyuck So sneaky! Do you have pictures of sheltie pumpkin head?

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I wish I had pictures. If she knows someone is watching she is a perfect angel. I think it is the ghost dog named "I didn't do that" that causes all the trouble, even though Shelby had the pumpkin guts hanging from her mouth.:lol:

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh man. My boy loves anything paper. Once he ate a leather box (resulting in stomach surgery) just to get to a few pictures inside.

Lexi, on the other hand, prefers wood. She has chewed the corners of our walls, our table legs, and our new bed. She chewed the corner of a wall in our new house about 6-8 months ago (she's 3 now) so we still can't trust her in the house. I'm not sure if it's separation anxiety or just a bad habit--likely it's both!

8. Fragglejh

Fragglejh Forums Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Georgia loves shoes. I have repaired 3 pairs so far and one was just too chewed to rescue. She is so quick at stealing stuff and I'm sure she has the ability to make herself invisible or something as you just don't catch her in the act. It's only when you go in the yard and she the shoes scattered around.

The last pair she took were mine. I spent ages training my kids to put their shoes in the coat closet and they were doing really well. Unfortunately they hadn't quite got the hang of shutting the door so Georgia had free access to the shoe buffet and mine obviously tasted the best. How annoyed was I? So annoyed that I went straight to the dollar store and bought as whole heap of toys in the vain attempt at distracting her.

In the past few months her shoe stealing seems to be lessening but she still enjoys chewing on the wooden Ikea step stool. It's been quite useful as she has slowly rounded off the sharp corners which has been a blessing to my legs.

9. Jaynie

Jaynie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas, Georgia
    Both of the Shelties I've had have loved a good box of tissues to shred.

Bela did not know the joys of making "Sheltie Snow" when she came to live with us. It took her about a year to start exploring on her own. She now shreds any kleenex she may find (extra points if they've been used :ick) and has recently been experimenting with old sales receipts, printer paper, and paper towels. Having had nosy dogs for years, I've got covered trash cans, so they can't get into those (yet). They just manage to get hold of something I leave on the floor or within their reach.

10. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Humm.lets see my list is long~

Mia, loves sheet rock. We have had patch walls anywheres where her x-pen has been. One area in bedroom,she literally almost shewed thru the whole depth of sheet rock. It made for a huge patch in wall.

Trapp~ paper. And it means anything paper. He will shred it,eat it,thrn go back for more.
    Shoes,linolyum,wall paper, rugs,(throw rugs were non existant in our home for a long,long time.)
    Jasper~ nothing. He never ventured to destroy anything.

Blake,so far its just him trying to destroy every hair on his brothers. May not need to worry about blowing coats,cause Blake will have them bald I figure in a few months.