Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lucky Boy

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by sable, Oct 16, 2014.

1. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Lucky is almost 13 1/2. I don't think his vision in his one eye is very good. Its
    obvious he uses the one eye more. I have to beg him to pee somedays. Today he
    went out and couid not make it to the grass. I thought a great dane took a pee
    on the patio. He has a time to squat to do his business.

Lucky runs, drinks, eats, and sleeps more now. He will let me know when his time is up. I won't do make me feel good stuff for myself. Its just such an honor to have him and enjoy him while I can.

The one thing that is driving me nuts, he sleeps really sound, and I check to see if he is still breathing.

Thanks for letting me put it out here, i want him to stay with me for awhile longer. He is like the family jewel, a treasure. I know you all feel the same
    with yours.

2. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    His name says the thruth, lucky! lucky to have an human who's trying him be confortable and taking care of him so much.....

Spend all the time you can with him....and yes when it's time, it's the time, although we never want them go bye, we are never prepeared enough to say good bye :(

3. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    I know what you mean about checking if they are still breathing!!! I do that with Danny and it startles him.

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    He sounds like a very special boy. You put it beautifully; it really is an honor to have our senior Shelties to love and dote on. They are precious jewels indeed! :hugs

...but forgive me, this made me crack up! It always catches me, too. And then when you go to check, they wake up suddenly ("I'm here! I'm here! Whaddya need?") and I feel so bad!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I can feel for you. My rescue Chance sleeps so sound too! He is 12-1/2.

This week I was working from home and I could see him out of the corner of my eye sleeping very deeply. As I was working on the computer I noticed he got up. I was shocked to see a HUGE lake of pee on the floor! :ick

I have three shelties and one has had issues going in the house. So, I immedatly thought it was my other boy. I ran to the kitchen to grab paper towels to clean up the mess.

Then I decided to ask Chance to lay on his side so I could check him. Sure enough he had wet all over himself. Off to the basement doggie spa we went so I could wash him down, shampoo, and rinse him off. He has NEVER messed in the house! :no:

I think he was sleeping so soundly that he did not wake up when he had to go. :winkgrin:

He is the love my life that I will do anything to keep him healthy and happy.
    He is on thyroid and gallbladder meds. HE gets bloodwork done every 6 months!

They are such a big part of our lives and we do not want to think of life without them.

Lucky Boy will be with you and we know you will take good care of him!:biggrin2: Thanks for letting ME put it out here too! :wink2:

6. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Aww thanks. I guess the two big things his brain and bladder are not working
    together. Well the pressure is on, so I think I can make it to go out and pee.
    OOOps its all over the patio mom. Thats ok Lucky just happy your here.
    Lucky is on Lasix and so far that is working.

Yep that sound sleep, I know when he wakes up I do a Happy Dance. We scare
    each other when he jumps up. I do laugh on how we react.

I love this guy like everyone here loves their fur babies. Lucky has the sweetest
    ways. Whatever happens down the road his spirit will remain with me. With
    her Royal Highness Lil' Lady I will have some memories of her, she is a riot.
    Lady is on thyroid and the pills worked immediately. I have been raised with
    females, but when they made her the mold was broke.

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    What sweet sentiments for your Lucky Boy, we have all been there and know exactly what you are feeling and going through. As with anything, there are good days and bad days and we jump for joy with the good days. It would be hard too guess here on who gave who the best 13 1/2 years, and no matter what or when the outcome, you will always be in each others hearts and you will meet again someday.

8. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and support.

:hugs sable, Lucky, and Lady