Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Resources for Recall Training?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Rileys mom, May 6, 2014.

1. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    I trying to get a better recall. Riley was good in obedience classes but has a harder time in the real world. Riley is great outside unless there are distractions (ie the neighbor dogs). I am looking to get either Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt or Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson. Has anyone had any experience with either of these?

2. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
  3. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Recall training

I trained with Leslie Nelson from Tails U Win and I highly recommend her for recall training.I started my agility training there many moons ago.Leslie has a video on youtube about her recall training.

4. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Control unleashed, if you can get it.
    Some reason I haven't been able to get a copy around these parts, lol

One of the most important things I found when working on recall, etc is to remember that dogs don't generalize. So a recall around the neighbours dog has to be trained as if your dog never had a recall in his life, lol.
    Distance to the other dog has to be big enough starting out that he can still pay attention to you, it's truly important to match the reward with the stimuli that's so much more interesting than you. Don't call if you think your dog won't come, you have to be MORE exciting, better smelling, interesting, with great food maybe and ,,pre animated and FUN than these other dogs or stimuli can ever be! But it's a trained behaviour and build on trust and understanding, can't be trained in a day, lol
    In other words don't be embarrassed to maybe look foolish to the neighbours, LOLLL

5. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Riley bought me Control Unleashed for mothers day:smile2:. Hopefully it can help me get ideas to keep him calm in agility class, he gets really excited/out of control when he practices tunnels and chutes. I may still get the Really Reliable Recall or try the Susan Garrett class (depending on price).

I am going to go back to keeping him on a long line outside. I want to hopefully undo the habit of ignoring recalls.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I use cheese balls. Those bright orangy orbs of salty, fatty, deliciousness... they roll on the floor well and the bright color is easy to see.

I toss one so he moves forward to get it, then I put another on his nose and call him back (just a step or two at first) rewarding him for moving toward me.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, further, further, further... pretty soon that the "come" is so strong that he flies across the ring slamming into front. (now we are working on slowing down so he doesn't literally slam into front...)

And, I just bet you will eat some too. Just don't wipe your fingers on your best training shirt. :D