Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Energy Supplements

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by Jess041, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I can't believe I'm asking about this, but I trust you guys to give honest opinions and good advice. So CleanRun sells a product called Go Dog that to me, appears to be like a Gatorade for dogs. Its says in its description that's NOT what it is, but it's probably the best way to describe it. One of my teammates in flyball puts this in his dogs water during tournaments. Another teammate gave his dog these ProPlan bars that I've never heard of throughout the tournament.

I guess my question is this- have any of you with performance dogs given your dogs any type of supplement during trials or other events? I haven't heard anything negative about either of these products (although I would probably not bother with the ProPlan bars). If anything I would try the Go Dog. I'm interested, but hesitant at the same time. I would like to help my dog sustain her energy throughout a flyball tournament, but at the same time, I don't know if it's even necessary. Missy is only 2, so very young. She has a lot of energy, doesn't seem to have any trouble sustaining throughout the weekend, but we have a larger tournament coming up that will be 3 days in a row. I'm wondering if this is something I should purchase to try out and see if it helps her over that long weekend.

P.S., "Go Dog" makes me think of Toddlers and Tiaras "go-go juice" when they were giving the little girls Red Bull. I know this stuff doesn't have caffeine in it, but I can't help but get a mental image of Missy bouncing off the walls of her crate in between races. I hope that doesn't happen!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Or dogs hyped up on pixie sticks (Toddlers & Tiaras reference)?

I honestly have never thought of pepping them up. I have done the opposite with Melli with that Rescue Remedy for travel which didn't change her car sickness (and even took some myself before the CGC test -- not HER she was fine, ME I was a nervous wreck). Is it good electrolyte replacement or a bit of stimulant?

3. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm just going to go ahead and copy/paste from their website. It's made in the USA.

Total Hydration Drink for Dogs! K9 Go DOG, canine hydration drink is more than just water and carbs and it's not a human sports drink reconfigured for dogs. Its designed specifically for the canine metabolism and features a proprietary blend of electrolytes, short-burst and long-range energy fuels, plus vital buffering agents. These buffers help neutralize performance-robbing, potentially-lethal metabolic acid (H+) buildup.

The explosive muscular power that propels your dog into the air after a Frisbee or over an agility obstacle comes at a cost, heat. The more power generated, the more heat produced. This heat builds up and limits performance. In some instances it can even kill. There's never been much you could do but surrender to the endothermic (heat generating) effect. Except wait it out, hope for the best. Now that human sports drinks have proved themselves, we believe it's time that dogs benefit. That's why we developed K9 Go Dog.

Animal Naturals K9 GoDog provides the following powerful benefits:
    • Promotes Rehydration & Recovery
    • Aids Oxygen Transport
    • Any Dog in Warm Weather
    • Safety & Fun
    • Helps Endurance
    • Helps Build Stamina
    • Helps Reduce Muscle Soreness
    • Increase Oxygen Delivery
    • Hydration
    • Lactic Acid Buffering
    • Exercise Comfort
    • Mental Focus
    • Trans Fat Free!
    • K9 Athletes: Agility, Shows, Fly Ball, Hunting, Herding, IPO, Coursing & More

K9 Go DOG strengthens all 3 metabolic links to total peak performance.

Improve Physical Performance -
    K9 Go Dog Increases energy production in slow and fast twitch muscle fibers; maintain higher output longer. Rapid & slow release fuels generate higher muscle ATP, boosting strength and power. Enhanced lactic acid & ammonia clearance reduces fatigue & the burn, extending endurance. Finally, enhanced oxygen delivery increases air (more V02 max remaining) & raises anaerobic threshold.

Improve Mental Performance -
    K9 Go Dog raises oxygen and glucose delivery to the brain, plus neurotransmitter & hydration support, maintains mental focus even under the most grueling conditions.

Container Size:
    1¼ lbs
    Serving Size: 20g -1 scoop
    Servings Per Container: 28

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Protein 6%
    Fat 9%
    Carbohydrates 75%
    Moisture 7%
    Ash 3%
    NO! sucrose, fructose, trans fat, corn syrup or by products.

K9 GoDog Human Grade Ingredients: GoDog Performance Factors™ Glucose polymers (long chain complex carbohydrates), Resistant starch, Mediumchain triglycerides, Protein-free tallow, Potassium L-lactate, Sodium L-lactate, O2Boost™ (L-Citrulline, L-Citrulline Malate, D-Ribose, Potassium ascorbate), Magnesium orotate, GoDog Recovery Factors™ Cooked chicken, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine,L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Taurine, L-Carnosine, ALA (alpha lipoic acid), L-Alanine, L-Glycine, Phosphatidylserine, GoDog HydrationFactors™ USP Glycerol, Sodium citrate, Potassium citrate, Potassium succinate, GoDog Antioxidant Factors™ Vitamin E(alpha-tocopherol), Calcium ascorbate (non-acidic source of vitamin C), GoDog Joint Factors™ TMG (trimethylglycine),Chondroitin sulfate, MSM (S-Adenosyl Methionine), Sodium hylauronate (glucuronic acid N-acetyl glucosamine), Cholinebitartrate, Calcium Lactate, Pyridoxine HCL, Inositol, Dicalcium phosphate, Zinc L-Aspartate, Folic acid, ManganeseL-Aspartate, Thiamin monohydrate, Cyanocobalamin (B12), PABA.

Feeding Directions: Pour recommended number of scoops into a standard 21 oz. water bottle almost filled with clean water. Shake and start improving your dog's performance, fun and safety!

Before Exercise - Feed 25% of bottle 15 minutes prior to exerciseDuring Exercise - Take short break every 15–45 minutes – feed 25% of bottle at each break
    After Exercise - Feed remainder within 30 minutes after workout
    Dog shows and prolonged events - Keep energy and focus at peak during traveling, before, during, and after longshows. Feed 25%-50% of bottle every 30-60 minutes.

Important to keep in mind...Goal is to maintain GoDog's energy, hydration and oxygen boosting nutrients at effective levels throughout activity period. This is accomplished by feedings at regular intervals. Modification of the above reccommendations is appropriate as long as the goal of regular intake is met.

After exercise, throw away unused portion. Do not retain. Thoroughly wash and disinfect water bottle. Using dishwasher is strongly advised. Always keep clean, fresh water

4. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Pretty much :lol:.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Odd. This line entirely worries me. I am sure they meant due to bacterial growth as it appears to be a suitable medium to support bacteria but yikes.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    On extremely hot days at flyball I have sometimes given Lectade (I never bothered with agility as they just don't expend the same energy), we run outside and most comps are in summer so really hot (35C+). Deska likes the taste, Tully doesnt. It was more about keeping him hydrated in the heat, but also with Deska's tendency to diarrhea in the past I always had some on hand anyway (except the one time he got HGE at a comp - then I had to give him human Gatorade).

I also once brought something called Recharge which is a greyhound hydration mix but they hated it. So beware you may be spending money on something they won't drink. Also keep in mind that too many electrolytes can also be bad and can cause muscle cramping and water retention. So make sure it's something that you'll need.

Btw - that recommended feeding schedule seems quite excessive.

7. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I went ahead and ordered some. I figure if it doesn't work out, I know people that use it and would take it off my hands. I'm hoping with this stuff we can avoid any muscle cramping or soreness after racing. I know I'm sore after just one day of flyball!

I agree. Probably not going to follow that to the T. I think drinking 25-50% of a bottle every 30-60 minutes is kinda ridiculous considering she doesn't drink that much water at a tournament to begin with! It says to use a 21 oz water bottle, so if she drank 2 of those over the course of a day... wow. I think I'll just try one bottle a day to start out with, and give her regular water as well.

8. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I assume it's from the sugars. All those carbohydrates make me think it could easily ferment in the heat.

I don't know, for the most part gatorade/powerade/all sport are pretty much excess unless you are really dehydrated or are majorly exerting yourself, much like Cliff Bars are meant to fuel century and half century rides, not 10ks even though people take them for that. Makes me wonder how necessary this is for the average athletic dog.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I would say that I know a handful of people who use it. Indoor shows with AC are the norm around here, so I don't think it's totally necessary. But I also wouldn't be opposed to trying it.

10. Jess041

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Good to hear from a fellow skeptic :winkgrin: