Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thunderstorms moving in tonight

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltie4, May 8, 2014.

1. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    That's a great story....love it! Trixie must have felt "safe" at your place.

2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey has no fear of storms, she just wants to do battle with them! If it's during the day she barks at me until I let her outside to bark and snap at all the rain and scare it away (right up until she realizes just how wet she's getting, which takes roughly two laps of the yard) Than she's inside and demanding to be toweled off.

At night she whines at me for a few minutes to go out, but settles back down if I pull her up by my head and wrap my arms around her.

Has anyone tried playing classical music for the dogs?

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

p.s. Thunderstorms last night, and put the Thundershirt on Indy.....he settled like a charm. Just lay down and chilled.

Storms didn't bother puppy Callan at all. Hopefully, it will stay that way.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    We could never get kids or animals to leave. The funny thing - we lived in the country. Trixie had to go down their lane (at least 1/8 mile) come up the road (at least 3/4 mile) and up our lane (1/8 mile). We would get a call - is Trixie there?

5. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Well . . . I cannot report whether the Composure treats worked or not . . . the storms did not materialize the other night (and I slept soundly :lol:)

With the forecast of storms moving in again tonight, I gave them all another Composure treat tonight. (Why do the storms always move through the night before I have to go to work the next day?)

I think my dogs reaction to storms at night is exacerbated because I have a skylight in the vanity area between my bedroom and the master bath. Jonesie Dream will hear the first drop of rain to hit the skylight, stare up at it for a second . . . then run to my bed and stare at the skylight . .

6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We had a huge storm in the area last night, Honey dealt very well with it, although the tornado sirens got her more riled up than normal. The heavy rain started right before her last bathroom break of the night, we tried going in the front but lightening flashed and she gave up all pretense of being brave against the storm, went inside and she curled up on my pillows above my head!

...which of course meant I was up at 3 in the morning once the rain finally stopped so she could get some relief:dead:. Oh well, I fully prefer her waking me up to her having an accident.

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    We had lots of thunder here last night. Miss Hanna wanted to go outside to investigate. What did startle her is when my power went out a few times and the stupid smoke alarm beeped spoke "push test button.":lol:

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We had a long night of high winds and rain. Lightning and thunder here and there. I think Missy actually did better than me. I am very paranoid about tornados so I can't sleep through weather like that. Missy didn't seem bothered at all. I tried to remain calm so I wouldn't make her think there was something to be worried about. Of course, she's never had issues with thunderstorms as long as she's inside. She's not a fan of being outside when it thunders. I don't blame her, I don't either.

We both survived the night. I am very tired. Now I'm singing my rainy day song, "Rain rain, go away, my little Sheltie wants to play."