Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

dog life jackets

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Junebug, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    If you were going to the lake, for swimming and canoeing, would you have a life jacket for a young, healthy dog?

I've looked at some, like the K9 float coat, but they are quite expensive, and don't know if this is crazy talk anyway. Does this qualify as a ridiculous purchase?

Beyond that, can anyone recommend a life jacket (for a dog, now) that they've actually used?

Thanks

2. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
    Yes! I just ordered the Kyjen Outward Hound lifejacket off Amazon. It was inexpensive as they are currently on sale 20% off…I think I paid like $15. I received it three days ago and we have used it everyday since. Cookie is only one, so he is young, and he is definitely healthy. He loves swimming so much more now because he can go for much longer without struggling or feeling like he's getting tired/can't stay above water.

Shelties aren't really made for swimming for long periods of time, and this is a nice snug fit and seems to be well made. I throw cookie's floating frisbee in the water now and he swims to it and brings it back, and we can do that for as long as we want now. He used to only want to do it once or twice before deciding he didn't like it anymore. I highly recommend Outward Hound lifejackets. FYI, he I got him a medium and it fits great.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I think the extra floatation is a good idea -- helps keep water out of the ears, makes it more comfortable for the dog. Next summer if Cubby decides to be a swimmer I will do that. The other two only go to knees or chest.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I always had a vest for Hollie. I just bought it at the local pet store and it wasn't very expensive.

Hollie loved swimming and I was always afraid she would get tired. The vest really did help a lot and really didn't restrict her movements.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We bought one for Honey even though she's a pretty strong swimmer. We were out in kayaks and my husband got to far away, she jumped in to go to him. We were close enough that she could have easily made it to shore but she was confused about where she should be going and ended up frantic to get back in with me.

I had a yoga mat attached to the kayak so she had a little traction, but there was no way for me to get a good hold on her to help pull her up without her flipping. I ended up with my hand braced under her front armpit and it was enough of a struggle with the wet hair that I was afraid something was going to get dislocated.

Even a cheap lifejacket will add a little extra buoyancy and give you a good hand hold to assist with lifting her.

(I do wish I had known about that $15 one on amazon though, because I ended up heading out to petco after that and the only one they had was $50)

6. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
  7. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    How big is your sheltie that wears the medium of this jacket?

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh yes!! Layla has an Outward House. Huckleberry has one he received as a gift. They both wore them on our recent camping trip -- we kayaked twice. Safety first!!

Attached Files:

9. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    As someone who swims their dogs, yes I do use life jackets. I use the outward hound ones petsmart sells. They are very affordable, durable, and keep the dogs safe.

10. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    It is funny to find this topic here because I have been trying to decide if I should get Riley a life jacket. His Springer Spaniel buddy likes to swim at the beach, and I would like to take Riley sometime. I think I will look at some of the brands mentioned.

Riley is 15 lbs which seems to be in between sizes for some brands. Would it be better to go with the smaller or larger size?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014