Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Drugs & Medications
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:11 PM

I live in south Ga, should I get the Lyme vaccine for mine?
Jaden's Precious Jewel "Jade"
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:31 PM

I recently read an article on areas of the country that have serious Lyme issues and was confused that it stated that the south has much less Lyme incident than we do in the Northeast. I always assumed that the warmer the climate, the more potential problem. So I asked our vet about this and he said it was true...very few ticks in the south carry Lyme because the most important host animal for Lyme is the white footed field mouse and that species of mouse doesn't inhabit the deep south.

Check with your vet, but I suspect he/she may tell you the vaccine is not typically needed in your area...but best to check to be on the safe side.

Also some people, even in high Lyme areas, don't want to give the Lyme vaccine since in a very small percentage of the dogs that get it there can be a serious reaction. Our Pixie cannot have the vaccine...she had a grand mal seizure after her first Lyme shot and our vet agreed she should never get another Lyme shot. So I check her carefully every night and if I find an attached tick on her our vet puts her on 7 days of antibiotic to combat any possible Lyme transmission. Pixie is 8 now and this routine has kept her Lyme free in an area that is currently listed as one of the worst areas in the entire US for Lyme.

Trini
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini gilmore View Post
You do have a very special vet. Not many vets would have been caring enough to take the time to bring a little dog's ashes home to his family.

Trini
Thanks Trini - he has such a good heart
Misses terribly "Trace", bi-blue angel 5/31/09-1/26/14
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini gilmore View Post
I recently read an article on areas of the country that have serious Lyme issues and was confused that it stated that the south has much less Lyme incident than we do in the Northeast. I always assumed that the warmer the climate, the more potential problem. So I asked our vet about this and he said it was true...very few ticks in the south carry Lyme because the most important host animal for Lyme is the white footed field mouse and that species of mouse doesn't inhabit the deep south.

Check with your vet, but I suspect he/she may tell you the vaccine is not typically needed in your area...but best to check to be on the safe side.

Also some people, even in high Lyme areas, don't want to give the Lyme vaccine since in a very small percentage of the dogs that get it there can be a serious reaction. Our Pixie cannot have the vaccine...she had a grand mal seizure after her first Lyme shot and our vet agreed she should never get another Lyme shot. So I check her carefully every night and if I find an attached tick on her our vet puts her on 7 days of antibiotic to combat any possible Lyme transmission. Pixie is 8 now and this routine has kept her Lyme free in an area that is currently listed as one of the worst areas in the entire US for Lyme.

Trini
Oh goodness. He had always told me that I probably don't need it! But id hate the get it "just in case" and someone have a reaction!
Jaden's Precious Jewel "Jade"
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper'sMama View Post
Oh goodness. He had always told me that I probably don't need it! But id hate the get it "just in case" and someone have a reaction!
In all honesty if your vet doesn't feel you need to have it done, I wouldn't do it. He would tell you to do it if he felt it was necessary. The south just doesn't have the Lyme problem that we do in the northeast.

Trini