Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Strangest color I have ever seen in a sable

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I believe she was tested but I am not sure. I will check. She sounded very confident in her being a sable, but I will still ask.

2. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I'm not too sure Dickens isn't a sable merle, but I would never have suspected it when I got him, because for his first five months he was a very, very light brown color, until finally all sorts of colors and shades started coming out in his coat, including polka-dot-like spots on his ears. His father was a blue merle, and surprisingly, there were seven pups in the littler, all listed as sables. Some of them ought to have been merles, I think.

3. Cyllian

Cyllian Forums Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    I would not intentionally breed a double merle. Justice mom just said though it is possible to end up with a dog that is merled and show no outward signs of being merled. There does not seem to be anything that one can do to make sure save do a test breeding with one you know for certain isn't a merle.

I am on the fence about sable merles. I have one and he is a very nice dog I can see why if one was breeding it would be something that one would not prefer. Still I think if you know their back ground you should have an idea if they could be merled or not even if they do not show. Just from their pedigree so to speak if there are no merles behind them would certainly be odd to end up that way.

Certainly since I know Jester is what he is even if he did not show he is a merle I would know not to breed him to one because I know he is. Would I breed this pretty boy. I do not think so but it has nothing to do with his color. More a temperment thing would be why I wouldn't