Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Indy's weight loss

Discussion in 'General Health' started by BarbV, Jul 25, 2014.

1. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Forgot to mention that Hanna is now 16 pounds @ 14.5" tall.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'd do no wet, 3/4 cup dry total, and supplement with frozen green beans. Carrots have much more sugar than beans.

3. EJHUNTL

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I don't do wet either - but I have heard that for cats at least, wet food is superior for weight loss. Supposedly there is more carb filler in dry food? Dry food does help with keeping their teeth cleaner - so I guess it's a personal preference.

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Now I wish I could lose some weight like Indy.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey loves playing goalie too! Its her favorite game, after hearing your story I'm wishing we had a hill, she would love to be able to roll it back to me.

Honey also gets just 1\3 a cup twice a day. Everyone who sees the bowl thinks there is no way I'm feeding her enough, but she's right on target weight with that and a handful of veggies around lunch.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Not to be too blunt, but if he isn't losing the weight you want him to lose, cut back more. My dogs, though smaller than yours, do not eat 1 C of food a day. And they do not eat wet food (usually higher in kcal?)

Calories in v. calories out--if he's healthy and he's not dropping weight, either reduce his calories or increase his exercise.

7. EJHUNTL

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    We just had the driveway done in concrete and does a tennis ball ever roll nicely down that slope! Today we went to a friends' 109 acre farm and Hanna got to run off leash to her hearts content for about 2 hours. She was in heaven! I did have to pull out a handful of burrs when we got home, but it was so worth it ( actually 2 had to be cut out)! She is just zonked out tonight! :sleepy:

I'm quite a bit overweight myself so it's a real challenge to get her enough exercise, especially when she can't be off leash alone in our yard. (fencing not allowed and we have deer & coyotes). Thank goodness she absolutely loves to fetch and we have a hill. I'm determined that "fat owner = fat dog" is not going to apply to us! Not caving in on the food is crucial as is frequent weighing so it doesn't get a chance to creep back up on her.

`

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Weigh in....lost another half pound.....well he did get groomed today so maybe that was a half pound of fur??????

Well he started at over 36 lbs and now at 32. Still aiming for under 26-28 lb

Making progress.

9. EJHUNTL

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Those 4 pounds mean an 11% weight loss Barb - that's awesome! Slow & steady and you'll get there. Just think how much this is helping his joints.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

FYI....wet food actually has less calories than dry food...more water conent. I switched out 1/3 cup of dry dry for more wet food. It also takes him longer to eat with the wet food

I feed Indy 2/3 cup of dry in morning, 1/3 cup in the afternoon of Now! Senior. In his afternoon meal he gets two big tbsp of Weruva. Its low cal, but high on taste so he feels happy!

Mid day he might get 4-5 baby carrots

I admit his weight loss has been slower than I wanted but its happening and he has not turned into a crazy food deprvived hound.

I think I might start 1/3 cup dry with two tbsp of wet twice per dy to get him down to faster.

btw...treats are virtually none.....he might get 1 or 2 small bites of beef liver per day.