Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

20" jumper...

Discussion in 'Agility' started by melbell, Nov 8, 2013.

1. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    So, Ruutu will be 10 months on the 11th... I just measured him for the first time since he was 9 months. He was 18" then, he's now 19" which would mean he'd jump 20" in AKC (only venue I do atm). Does anyone else jump their sheltie at 20"? I've seen very few shelties at 20" but they seem to do just as well against the border collies and the other 20"ers. I'm debating if he should just run preferred his whole life or if I should give 20" a try. I know he can handle it since our gate in our kitchen was 26" and he could clear that with no spacing needed (not that I wanted him to..) Also, I should add, I currently jump him at 12" when should I move him up to 16" and then 20"? I'd like to be showing him in May.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I just think it depends on your dog's build and jumping style. My two dogs are almost exactly the same height (16") and while I would never jump Bentley 2" above his height, I would Lexi if the venue called for it.

3. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    He's very thicked bone but long and lean. Muscles makes up his 30lb weight.

4. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Edan is 14 1/2 inches, which puts him into the 16 inch jump height having just missed the cut off for the 12 inch jump height.

Edan is my first agility dog and, honestly, I wish I'd have started him in Preferred in AKC rather than Regular. When I look back on it, the bar jumps aren't a problem; heck, he can clear a 24 inch jump. The problem is the spreads, specifically the triple and broad jumps. Those become HUGE jumps for my little 14 1/2 inch dog where the majority of the other dogs in the 16 inch class can almost step over them. I actually have a picture of Edan going over a broad jump in full extension. The length of his body, including his fully extended front and rear legs, was the width of the broad jump for 16 inches.

Now Edan is 7 years old and I moved him to Preferred this September. I simply DO NOT want my 7 year old dog jumping 16 inches. I'd like to keep him healthy and playing the game as long as I can.

The other thing is, I do this for fun with my dogs. I have no aspirations of AKC national agility champion, attending AKC nationals or invitational (don't do enough AKC trials for that to happen), or being on a world team. So, for me and my goals, Preferred is perfect and fun.

I know some people won't agree with my reasoning and that's fine. Edan's my dog and I have to do what I believe is best for him regardless of other people's opinion.

ETA - Edan is a rather small boned, lithe, Sheltie weighing about 17.2-17.4 pounds. If his weight starts to push 19 pounds he starts to look like a log on legs. He jumps beautifully but there is his overall size to consider.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    And that's exactly what we can do :) We all know our dogs and their capabilities. If you aren't sure, a good trainer can help, too.

Bentley is shaped a bit like Edan--less long and bit more compact (though still fine boned). Lexi is built much longer, and she has a lot more reach. She strides a lot more like a border collie.

Attached Files:

6. melbell

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I guess the other thing to consider is he's still growing- so he might hit 20" by time he's done growing. Thanks for the perspective Silaria. Honey is 15" and does fine 16" other than she can drop a bar occasionally due to her breaking her back leg while a pup. I just don't know if a 19" sheltie could compete right next to a 20" border collie, lab, retriever, poodle etc. Though, when he sharpens up his skills, he'll be extremely fast.

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
  8. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Trax jumped 20" until he was 4 1/2 years old. It was always funny to see people's heads turn when the gate steward would call out for a Sheltie in the 20" class. :lol:

I got his challenge measurement after that and he's been jumping 16" ever since. But I'd go back to 20" if we had to. He jumps it with no problem whatsoever.

9. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    We are in the same predicament with Maverick. He jumps 16" but if we could get him down at 12" he'd do so much better. His official measurement is 14 1/2" but that was when he was 20lbs and now he's down to 16lbs. We are hoping to get him measured down so he can jump 12". I just have to thin his hair out and get a patient judge or two :biggrin2:

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    LOL I hear you. Unfortunately for Edan even if he slouches his measurement only drops to 14 1/4, which is still 16 inches. :(