Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Assisting our 13 1/2 year old up and down the stairs.

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by sanemb, Nov 3, 2014.

1. sanemb

sanemb Forums Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Anybody have any suggestions for a harness or something to help our 13 1/2 year old Mandy go up and down 12 steps. We have her on pain medicine for arthritis, but some times her back legs will give out when she's going down the stairs. Other than that she's does pretty well. I just don't want her falling down the stairs.

Sandy

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I was given a harness but it's a bit cumbersome. Best bet is to use a rolled up towel under the abdomen if it's a hip issue and under the chest if it's elbows. Let her rest into it rather than lifting her up with it. You might want to practice on flat ground first so you don't spook her on the stairs when you pop it underneath her.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have used the ComfortLift Carrier on my 12 year old Chance when he hurt his back leg. I used it for going up and down stairs to go in and out to the bathroom... works great!

Good luck with Mandy. Hope she feels better soon.

5. beardiedawg

beardiedawg Forums Regular

Oct 15, 2014
    Texas
    I didn't use it for stairs but I had a Ruffwear harness for my bearded collie for her arthritis and loved it. I'd probably also baby gate the stairs for when you are not there so she doesn't try to do them if no one is around to help.

6. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Can someone explain how this works? You use the handles to lift/support the dog? I'd be afraid of tugging too hard and hurting Fasb - especially his back.

I'm kinda interested in this. We're not quite there yet, but Fasb is 12 and does have arthritis. He's still quite energetic and generally moves around quite well. After 9 PM or so, he tends to get creaky. Sometimes limps a bit after he first gets up and has to do the "pumping" to run steps. Might not be long before he will require some assistance.

7. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    A neighbor uses a ramp to help their dog go in and outside over the 6 or 7 porch steps....

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It's really easy and very adaptable to your dog's needs. It wraps underneath his stomach and you hold the two handles on either end. Then you can apply as much lift as he needs to either support him a little bit, or more if he needs lots of help. It's also washable and goes in the washer and dryer.

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    honestly if they are not collie sized I just carry them up and down. Tucker who had a FCE in july some nights is just too tired to make it up and down that last time out. He will generally try but some times its easier than the heart attack he gives me as he throws himself down my 10 stairs to just carry him...

10. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    I like the responses, and will keep them in mind. Lucky is 13 1/2 too but he still
    makes the steps. He has other things going on.

Sad to watch them grow old but I know everyone on this board will travel the
    journey the fur pals takes us on.