Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brett the Sheltie

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by kskc, Aug 27, 2015.

1. kskc

kskc Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2015
    Yesterday while searching online for something unrelated, I stumbled across this story about a sheltie named Brett... (warning: involves animal abuse)

Brett the sheltie

I had no idea that this had happened until yesterday, and needless to say, I am appalled that someone could do something so mean and senseless to such a sweet sheltie!! I am new to Sheltie Nation, so I wondered if this had been discussed on here at the time of the incident (last April), but when I did a search, nothing panned out. Therefore, I thought I would bring this up because I think others need to be aware of it. Unfortunately, dog-fighting is still a big issue that HAS to be taken seriously and hopefully, one day there will be laws so that those involved and caught will face tough consequences. I won't even get into the whole dog-fighting issue because that is a whole other can of worms. My reason for sharing Brett's story is to make sure that people are aware of the lengths some in the dog-fighting network will go to in order to have dogs that are used for bait. I have heard stories of dogs being stolen from their own backyard. I have also heard stories of people answering ads that are on Craigslist and other places that say, "Free to a good home." These people will disguise themselves as the perfect pet family and promise to take good care of the dog being given away, when their main intention is to use the dog for bait in a dog fight. It sickens me just to think about it!!

Please take the time to occasionally look for shelties in your area that are posted on Craigslist and other such classified ads as "free." If you come across any, contact your local Sheltie Rescue... a representative from the rescue may be able to have the owner sign the dog over to them. At least then, the dog has a better chance of finding a good home since the rescues screen potential families before they adopt out.

By the way, this story has a happy ending for Brett, although, the past few months haven't been easy. He is in a foster home now and will be adopted out soon...

go to August 21... https://www.facebook.com/NoahsArkSociety The story about Brett starts on this Facebook page in April

Finally, the most recent story on Brett I could find...

http://wkrn.com/2015/08/21/dog-found-in-trash-bag-almost-ready-to-be-adopted/

Please keep little Brett in your puppy prayers that his soon-to-be new home will be the most wonderful, loving home ever... the kind of home ALL dogs deserve!

Page

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thank you for posting and although it is difficult we all need to be aware of this story and what we can do to help any sheltie in need.

Hell is made for those who mistreat animals. Their judgement day will come.

As a person who rescued many shelties I understand the compassion and tender care they need.

May this never again happen to sweet Brett and may he live out his days with soft beds, a loving home, and good food and vet care.

Blessings little Brett. :hugs

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I believe in levels of hell for those that abuse. Creation is a celebration of life, and it is to be cherished and cared for. Those who resort to any type of cruelty, abuse, mistreatment or neglect against creatures who are to add to our lives have a very HOT eternity awaiting. They may escape justice now, but judgement WILL come.

4. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Poor poor little guy. :no:

5. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    That is horrible. I got involved with dog rescue after adopting 3 shelties from a shelter in OK. I am in Louisiana but saw these 3 sweet faces & couldn't resist. I only wanted one but couldn't stand the idea that the other 2 would be left behind. We drove to Dallas & met someone from the shelter. They were the best friends & the start of 9 years (so far) of sheltie & other dog rescuing.

I try to contact anyone giving free animals away & give them options. I have had 16 shelties so far & found them wonderful homes if they didn't stay with me. I still have London & Bailey that were posted here when their owner passed away.

Please urge everyone to respond to sheltie ads & post them here. I have several excellent previous sheltie parents that are hoping to find another after their sheltie has passed away. They haven't had good luck with some of the rescues because they live in different states. I also work with a wonderful group of volunteer transporters if anyone ever needs help getting one moved. We do it for the love of happy endings.

6. kskc

kskc Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2015

Great suggestion! You never know when something as simple as posting a classified ad could make a BIG difference in the life of a sheltie! I hope all those involved in dog-fighting are caught and get the punishment they deserve, but by then, it is too late for the dogs that have been abused. Dogs need to be saved from these horrible situations before they are put through torture. That won't happen unless we do our part to help prevent dogs from ending up in the wrong hands... i.e shelties given away free to a good home, etc.

lasheltie... thanks for all you have done to help rescue shelties... the world needs more people like you!

Page

7. tocamom

tocamom Forums Regular

May 6, 2012
    RIP, sweet Brett

Just discovered that sweet Brett passed away and is now waiting for his adopted family at the Bridge. May he rest in peace and to all those who would abuse dogs in this manner - shame on you! My true sentiments cannot be expressed on this forum :mad: but may the Lord forgive you.

8. lasheltie

lasheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2012
    How sad! I hated to read that but am glad he will never suffer again. I know he is in a special place & the people that caused his suffering will find their own suffering when they least expect it. The hardest thing I have had to learn is that sometimes the answer to our prayers is "no". I will hug my shelties tonight even more in memory of Brett.

9. kskc

kskc Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2015
    Just found out this news... what a heart breaker! Saw this on the Noah's Ark Facebook page...

"Brett might have only been with NAS for only 5 mths, but his foster family showed him more love than he probably had in his 13 yrs on this earth."

It is comforting to know that Brett had some happy times in the end and love from his foster family. At least he didn't leave this earth with his last human contact the ones that were so abusive to him.

R.I.P., sweet Brett. You touched many hearts and you won't be forgotten!

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Broke my heart to read about poor little Brett.

My heart goes out to his foster family. We all have so much hope when we rescue our little charges. We know that we are dedicated to provide a safe life without fear and knowing that they will be loved and provided the best food and medical care.

When we try, yet, end with the premature passing of our beloved rescue, our hearts break. We must be comforted in the fact that their last days were filled with love and kindness.

RIP little Brett, may you run happy and free of pain at Rainbow Bridge and your foster family will be with you one day.