Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Treats & Supplements
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:42 PM

I always tell my human patients, the best hydration is from water.

I don't think it will do any harm, however.
Dad to "Fletcher" (Belmark Oreos And Cream)whelped 30 Aug 2013 sire Belmark Own The Podium dam Belmark Lip Service , "Tripp" (CH Belmark Kellcrest Tripwire) GCH Jesstar Nirvana x Felicity Jamaican Me Crazy, and "Jenny" (Belmark's Angelic Dreamer) Ch Cimarron Northern Lights x Belmark Novella
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2014, 05:00 PM

At this juncture in my life I wouldn't give a dog any sugars. If they're anything like people they should have glycogen stores that they can draw on when energy is needed. Just my opinion!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mignarda View Post
At this juncture in my life I wouldn't give a dog any sugars. If they're anything like people they should have glycogen stores that they can draw on when energy is needed. Just my opinion!
The website says "NO! sucrose, fructose, trans fat, corn syrup or by products." Were there other sugars listed that I missed? If it doesn't outright say "sugar", I have a hard time spotting it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post
The website says "NO! sucrose, fructose, trans fat, corn syrup or by products." Were there other sugars listed that I missed? If it doesn't outright say "sugar", I have a hard time spotting it.
You're right; someone else mentioned sugars and I just assumed that's what we were discussing. It appears that all the carbs come from starches. Of course, starches are broken down by amylases in the digestive tract into sugars, so in effect it's much the same thing.

I'm really impressed, though, by the fact that there are no trans fats. I always avoid sports drinks that have them, because we all know how bad they are! And they're just as bad for doggies as they are for us people!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess041 View Post
First ingredient, GoDog Performance Factors™ Glucose polymers. Glucose -also known as dextrose- is a basic and very common form of sugar.
Glucose polymer means starch, remember starches are broken down into sugars. In the US, glucose polymers are usually (not always) corn starch.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:52 AM

Glucose polymers and glycerol are mentioned. They are simple sugars, in their most natural and easily used form so not a bad thing.

It's interesting they are pushing it for agility and show people. I just don't see a dog expending enough energy to need a supplement in those activities. I can see some benefit in an activity where they are expending high levels of energy and potentially fluid (like flyball or endurance trials) as a way to give them additional energy without feeding. I know they're pretty popular in greyhound racing.

Just a thought - is a supplement that's designed for low level activities like showing, going to provide what you'd want for a high level activity.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenepony View Post
First ingredient, GoDog Performance Factors™ Glucose polymers. Glucose -also known as dextrose- is a basic and very common form of sugar.
Glucose polymer means starch, remember starches are broken down into sugars. In the US, glucose polymers are usually (not always) corn starch.
Thanks.. I figured I wasn't catching something. Of course, biology, nutrition, chemistry... not my field lol. I do computer stuff.

My order came in.. might try some at practice on Sat to make sure it won't upset her stomach. We practice outside and it's July in Texas.. should be really hot!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro View Post
Just a thought - is a supplement that's designed for low level activities like showing, going to provide what you'd want for a high level activity.
Maybe. I already give her Vibrant Pets Canine Athlete.