Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Puppies 101
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:05 AM

Default I need reassurance!!!

Hey Guys,
So my little jacks is 6 mths now and after 8 weeks of solid toilet training I had finally got him to go to the toilet outside! ( long story short, I had been training him for a lot longer than that but it took ages because he has 45 stairs to climb to the backyard). Anyway, we had NO ACCIDENTS for 1 month...until it rained and rained and rained! Jacks will stand in the rain on the deck, walk into the shower with me and swim at the beach, but he hates wet grass!!! He has been consistently weeing and pooing in the house for the past 3 days. Even when the ground dried out for a bit , he won't go up. Today I managed to get him to go outside 50% of the time but under my direction, not by his in urge. I am so worried he won't ever learn I even hid treats in the wet grass ( in the non- potty area) to make wet grass fun! I'm back to timing and watching like a hawk, which I will do but I thought we were finally done with that. If I'm consistent, he will learn right ?
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2014, 07:51 AM

It's not unusual for puppies to have a setback in training around 6 months of age, so don't worry...it's not you, and it's not Jacks. Just start again with treating, praising and taking him out. You may have to take him more often again, but he'll get it and it won't take as long as it did the first time!

That's a lot of stairs, especially in bad weather! You might also want to consider some sort of indoor system for days when it's awful out. Perhaps one of the artificial turf systems might help as a stop-gap. I've used Tinkle Turf from Amazon if you can get it there. Buy a spare turf so you can rotate them for cleaning, and use a puppy pee pad underneath the turf in the tray to help keep it dry. Good luck!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:51 AM

We had a few days of this with Tinsel due to his not liking the wet, cold grass. We just continued to take him out and made sure that the clean up included a vinegar and water solution to keep the smell from attracting him. Stay strong!!!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:23 PM

Thanks guys! He is really clever , and we are both trying hard :)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:32 PM

Laddie and Bella who are both fully house broken, still have set backs once in a while, so, don't be discouraged, it happens to us all one time or another.
Sheltie Angel: Laddie McGregor
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:45 PM

awww, 45 stairs... and YEP my boy are what I call DUCK SHELTIES love mud n muck and puddles and loads of splashing and Spruce even loves swimming... but they hate wet grass! Toffee in particular.
Took me a lil longer to potty train, too... DOn't give up, it'll be like ONE day soon that the light goes on. Keep going, keep trying and rewarding, just like ou're doing...
I hate the rain as well, to be honest lol
but I used to have to go out in it ever three hours, so hang in there it will come!!