Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Performance Sports > Obedience
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:29 PM

Default "take it"

Well, I don't know if I'm doing this right or will regret this. BUT, I've got this new puppy, and he seems very keen to learn things. I haven't seriously trained dogs in about 10 years, and before that I was an assistant for a private trainer who ran classes. I got as far as a CDX on one dog who was working on utility when life got in the way.

So, as I'm working with the new puppy (16 weeks this week) I decide to introduce the dumbell. After just a few repititions of "take it", pop it in his mouth, treats & praise, he's beginning to reach for it. I can't believe it. My last competition dog I had to use the "ear pinch" method, and I don't know if that's even still done anymore.

So, can anyone warn me if I'm messing this up? What is the typical method of teaching the obedience retrieve these days?
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:19 PM

Just now seeing this Junebug, I start the retrieve when I first meet my dogs and just build on the play until I have prety reliable retrievers. I praise for anything in their mouths, even if it is my best slipper, and reward with a treat.

I reward them for picking things up, and in a different game, I teach them to come to me fast... at some point all the games converge and I have a retrieve.

Never understood the ear pinch, have not needed it for my three obedience dogs, and the one who didn't get in the ring.

Sounds like you got a lot of talent to work with! Cool!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug View Post

... My last competition dog I had to use the "ear pinch" method, and I don't know if that's even still done anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GoodDogs View Post

...Never understood the ear pinch, have not needed it for my three obedience dogs, and the one who didn't get in the ring...
I had never, (ever) heard of the "ear pinch" method of training a dog, so as is my usual custom, I immediately went to YouTube for some videos to give me some insight. After watching about two or three very interesting videos (and after checking to see if each of them might have been posted on April Fool's Day), I have arrived at a couple of questions: Are these people kidding??? and Has anyone here actually used the ear pinch method??? and Did it work??? I gotta say, the few vides I saw looked more like comedy routines than they did effective training methods. I would love to hear from anyone who knows something about this method. PS - I don't plan to use it, I just want to know if anyone knows anything about it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:58 PM

I don't know the ear pinch method, and I don't think I want to know.

Off and Take it, were one of the first things I ever taught my dogs. I use it for treats, dinner, toys.... (next most important, of course, is recall) (btw my word for Take it is a more generic Yes)

Off is especially important if they are going for something nasty. Take it is equally important as you want to control when they are allowed to go for something.

Fortunately, these are the two easiest things to train! Even easier than a down!