Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

All brown Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Robert.Loo, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Robert.Loo

Robert.Loo Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2013
    Honolulu,HI/New York City
    My fiancee was on her way to work and she texts me immediately when she claims that she saw an entirely brown sheltie. My question is has anyone ever seen one before? Is it even possible? When she says brown she claims that its all brown including the rough.

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I think a couple here from England are mostly brown (a very bright almost orange brown and gorgeous). As far as comforming I have no idea.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    My sheltie from 20 years ago ( named Blue) was a beautiful mocha colour with very faint hints of grey and a full very white ruff. He was not my first but he was the one I remember most and I loved the best - to this day I still think of him. Hi grandfather was an agility champion and my Blue was an amazing runner/jumper. He also had the sweetest, gentlest temperament and was really bonded to me, except if one of the kids was sick or going to be then he stuck to them like glue. Hubby used to call him my shadow.

4. Robert.Loo

Robert.Loo Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2013
    Sounds like you had a real gem. I guess my real underlying question is...is it possible for a shelties rough to be all brown?

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    By brown do you mean sable, or solid brown? Shelties can have varying amounts of white, so while I've never seen one, I imagine you could have a sheltie with little to no white. As far as the "brown".. it could be a sable, or it could be a bi-black with the dilution gene which would make the coat appear anywhere from blue/grey to chocolate brown. You don't see very many of them because the dilution is not desired, and it is a fault in the confirmation ring. The experts and breeders will chime in.. they definitely know more than me :smile2:.

6. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I seem to recall a shletie book with a solid sable in it, but I can't remember which book. I may even have it in my book collection.:rolleyes2:
    Here is a link to some sheltie colors, scroll down to the sable merle.

7. Robert.Loo

Robert.Loo Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2013
    I meant solid brown..is it even possible? I thought genetically the rough is always white but my fiancee says she saw a solid brown one.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
  9. Robert.Loo

Robert.Loo Forums Novice

Aug 2, 2013
    Wow, amazingly I have that same book and haven't even noticed. It looks like there is a tiny patch of white but overall it is pretty much solid. She sent a pic from her phone but unfortunately it was a pic of the owner crossing the street with it from the rear view so its hard to even make out what kind of dog it is. I'll post the pic up soon

10. Cyllian

Cyllian Forums Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    From what I understood there were at one time self color as in all black or all sable and even a brown and black with no white. I think though that self color has been mostly if not all bred out. As for the neck I assume you are speaking of not all shelties have a white collar full or otherwise. Some just have a little patch of white on the chest.