Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What color will Blaze be?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Jean, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jean

Jean Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2015
    PNW, Washington state
    The little chameleon is a sable with the black edged sable ears (which are prick because I chose not to tip.) As a baby, he looked a little like Barley does in his pictures. The breeder said that he would lighten though. (I guess its because of his father.) His dad is a goldenish sable and has Paray and some Jade Mist lines in his pedigree. His mom is tri-factored with Jesstar and some Apple Acre lines in her past.

Over the months, Blaze did lighten. His sides are now a "coffee au laite", but his back remains that dark color (mainly because of some black guard hairs making their appearance.) His tail is the most interesting though. I first noticed a glossy, blacker than black spot halfway up his tail. I've never seen a black so dark. It was beautiful. Then it spread throughout the tail (not the white tip of course). But as it spread a light cream has made its appearance exactly where the black spot started and the cream is mixing with the deep black (but right now, not enough to overpower it.) Honestly it's beautiful. But I have no idea if it will stay.

Now it's obvious that Blaze will not look like either his dad--or mom, but what do you all think? Will his dad win out or his mom? Or do I just get to enjoy the changing many faces of Blaze?

2. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Sables will, based on the experience with my two, will change colors their entire life.

My Edan is mahogany sable. When he was a 7 month old puppy he only had the dark color on his shoulders. As he's aged the dark has moved down his back and sides and deepened. Is litter-sister, CJ, by comparison, does have the dark on the shoulder but her sable color has deepened and gotten a bit more reddish as she's aged.

Expect the color-changing Blaze to continue.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I agree with Silaria- sables change so much as they grow- all those different shades of brown:pop

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Sounds exactly like the color phases Cubby went through. That black spot finally landed right at the base of the tail with the whole tail being a mix of black and cream. He has lighter tones below and darker red to almost black on top with a super dark rough. Fun to watch them develop.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Agreed for the most part....

Those that have mahogany shades tend to grow darker as their guard hair grows in.

Baca, my red, stayed pretty much consistently the same colour

Callan, my 17 month old sable Merle seems to constantly change colour, but seems to have settled in blonde and red and a touch of grey.

6. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    From what you describe i would think he will have more black shading (guard hairs) than the dad but not as much as the mom. The shading does come in gradually over the years. But thenshade of red seems to be more stable .

My boy had parents that were red sables with some black but were mostly clear sables on their back. My boy ended up a deep red sable with lots of shading but not enough to be called a true "shaded sable" as the red does show through the black and his points (mask shoulders ) are black black. His sister and litter mate is a clear bright red sable with no shading beyond mask and shoulders and tail. Mine was not the darkestnpuppy but ended up darkest of litter due to shding and the one that looked like he would be shaded as a pup was a clear deep res sable like the parents. In looking on pedigree there are a couple tris waaaaay back i. Lineage