Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Double Merle Offspring

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Jess041, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    So I was doing my regular browsing of Sheltie rescues, and a while back I saw that they had was a deaf double merle female. It didn't say much about her background, but I saw recently that she had puppies! 7 of them! They have 3 listed as smerles, and the other 4 listed as sable and white. I thought when one parent was a double merle, all the puppies would be merles? So are all these puppies smerles and the rescue has only listed the ones with obvious merleing as smerles and the others incorrectly listed as sable and whites?

Obviously it doesn't really matter, the rescue will ensure that they're all spayed and neutered and adopted to the best homes. I think all of them are "adoption pending"!

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Rescues are not always up on the whole genetics thing. But we still have breeders selling color headed whites as "genetic defects" so people think their CHW or white factored dogs will produce unhealthy puppies. Whether that's ignorance or malice, I don't know.

Yes, in theory, they are all sable merles.

3. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I am so disgusted by reading this.
    I know it contributes to rescues not being up on genetic things. But honestly lets get it right rescue people. Theorectically they are sable merles. Not "smerles"....
    I'm not upset at your post,forgive meif I came off that way. But breeding a deaf & blind double merle is not acceptable.

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The rescue doesn't have them listed as "smerles", but "sable merles". I just say smerle because I like the word. The rescue did not breed the double merle, but discovered the pregnancy after bringing her in and she was too far along to spay. Mom is not blind, only deaf.