Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Lookin for recipe suggestions

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Shelby's mom, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I just purchased a muffin tin which makes treats in the shape of paw prints. I thought it would come with some treat recipes but it did not.

So does anyone have any recipes I can try? I don't want to make soft muffins I am looking for something that would end up crunchy, the tin isn't very deep like a cupcake pan.

Thanks everyone n

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How to Make Pumpkin Dog Treats

Pumpkin is a great source of fiber not only for people, but also for dogs. If your dog has tummy issues, adding a scoop of pumpkin to his dry food could help calm the belly and firm up any loose stools. But some dogs simply don't enjoy the taste of plain pumpkin. For those finicky pups, you can take a stab at baking your own pumpkin dog treats. Not only is baking for your pets fun, but homemade treats are free of additives and preservatives which makes them healthier than store bought treats.

Cookie sheet
    Rolling pin
    Measuring cup
    Stand mixer or spoon and bowl
    Small cookie cutters
    2 1/2 cups whole wheat, or all purpose flour
    1 cup 100% pure pumpkin, canned
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 egg

​Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Combine pumpkin, cinnamon and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl if you are mixing by hand. Mix until blended.

​Combine pumpkin, cinnamon and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl if you are mixing by hand

see attached images for additional info...

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
    Emily777 likes this.
  3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Yes! Totally printing this off. Thanks Gloria!

4. jdo1217

jdo1217 Forums Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    Avondale, AZ
    I may try these but I will be lazy and just cut them into squares instead of using cookie cutters. I'm sure Karma won't mind! :winkgrin:

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks, Shelby will love these. She goes crazy for pumpkin, when we carve pumpkins she likes to help, by sticking her head inside the pumpkin and carve with her teeth LOL.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Hey, if anyone makes these let me know how your pups like it.

I dislocated my finger on my right hand so I can not use it to make these yet.

Also, had trouble finding wheat flower so I got rice flower... Think that could work?

I am not great baker! :no:

7. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana

Just out of curiosity, what is wrong with All-purpose flour?

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Here's a great recipe that you may already have but I just made it the other day for Piper and it's super easy and he loves it!

Tuna fudge
    4 cans tuna (liquid from can also)
    4 eggs
    3 cups tapioca flour (can also use regular or ww flour)

Mix tuna and eggs together in food processor then add to flour in bowl and mix, will be very wet.

Place on greased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out to fill pan. Bake at 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes. Let cool a bit and then cut with a pizza cutter to desired size.

The benefit of using tapioca flour is it changes the texture of the dog treats, makes them almost gelatinous, and they won't crumble in your pocket (plus wheat free) and make great training treats! I just cut them super small with scissors.

9. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    many try to find alternatives to wheat flour now because of gmo issues or food sensitivities. I use rice flour, quinoa flour, oat flour, and my tummy is happier.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I have made something similar with caned salmon. We call it salmon crack. The dogs go crazy for it, but it really smells up the house when you bake it. I only made it once because of that. We said if we make it again we will cook it in the bbq.