Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sentinel (heart worm pills)

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Tabitha, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I took Ida in to the vet today to get her rabies shots and HW pills. I used to give the dogs TriHeart but the vet told me it was the genaric of Heart Guard which worried me. The only other HW pills they had besides those two is Sentinel. I've never heard of it and wasn't too sure about it, but I went ahead and got 1 pill to see how she reacted. It's been 9 hours now since she took it and she seems completely normal. Has anyone heard of any bad reactions with shelties or just dogs in general taking Sentinel? Is it a new drug? Anything at all I should know about it?

She also told me that Heart Guard has changed it's ingredients and was now safe for shelties, but I'd rather avoid it altogether.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Sentinel is Interceptor with a flea inhibitor. I use it on my Collie.

No, Heartguard did not change it's ingredients, and it's fine for Shelties. We have science now, and we know what gene causes the sensitivity, and we know what doses cause it. The dosing in all heart worm meds is low enough to not cause any issues even in MDR-1 dogs. I use Heartguard for all my Shelties, even for my mutant/normal Sheltie.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Rachael is right, but just to add to the thread, I give my dogs Sentinel without issue.

4. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    I use Heartgard as well for all my guys. No problems whatsoever.

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I use trifexis with no issues. But i don't know about sentinel, since I never gave it :eek:

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I give Sentinel to Pixie and Lacey, both of whom are sensitive to other medications or allergic to things or, in Pixie's case, prone to seizures. It's the only thing I'll give them and they take it without any problems.

The other dogs get Heartguard Plus, which they also take without a problem. I'd only worry about using Heartguard on a dog who's MDR mutant/mutant.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Rachel nailed it.

I used Sentinel when my dog was a puppy. I switched her to Interceptor when I realized Sentinel was the same thing, except it had an additional chemical in it to kill fleas. My dog was already on a topical flea/tick regimen, so I didn't see the point in spending the extra $$$ and overloading her body with more chemicals when it wasn't necessary.

After the company stopped producing Interceptor, I switched to Heartgard. At my vet, Heartgard is cheaper than Sentinal and doesn't have the flea chemical. I've had no issues with any of the 3 heartworm pills I've administered.

8. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Alright, thanks ladies!:biggrin2: I'm sure my dogs aren't MDR mutant/mutant since they took TriHeart without a problem, but they've never been tested for it so I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I'd forgotten what it was about the drug that was making so many dogs sick, so thanks for reminding me.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I've used the Sentinel on Melli but will be going to Heartgard this round when I go next mont for test & annual everything exam.

10. Tabitha

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    So should I start giving them Heartgard? They've never had a flea problem and I give them Frontline for ticks in spring-fall.