Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sentinel (heart worm pills)

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Tabitha, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    That's pretty pricy, although if I did all the dogs I could have it done for $60 a piece instead of $70, but that's still $300 plus shipping. It may have to wait a bit. Would it be cheeper having the vet do the blood test or about the same. What's the test called anyway?

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    NO. NEVER EVER have I had a vet manage to do a test cheaper. If they do it, they charge you an office visit, blood draw, plus probably at least double the test cost because they send it through Antech or some such lab, who then just turns it around to WSU anyway.

I have a horror story about trying to get a Rabies titer done for a dog going to Hawaii. Basically, what should have been a simple "draw blood, spin down, put in FedEx box" for about $120 turned into $255 at my vets office. I had the paperwork all filled out for the lab, for my vet to put in the box, complete with my credit card number so the lab could charge me directly. NOPE. The vet (who I don't see anymore) charged me a full office visit, plus $200 for a $48 test. When I asked WTF, they explained it, and I left them a vial of blood and no money. I called around and finally found a vet who didn't feel the need to "see" the dog first, and who had a relationship with the lab. $18 blood draw, $48 lab fee, $48 FedEx fee. Done and done. That's how it should have worked to begin with.

I've always done my own swabby tests, because they are easy to do at home, and equally reliable.

TLDR: Vets are always more expensive for basic DNA tests.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I'm using Revolution for Hanna. It covers ticks, fleas and heartworm and is what one of the vets at my clinic uses for her dogs. We use it May through October.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Heart gard does not protect against whip worms. Sentinel does

5. VallejoSheltie

VallejoSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2011
    Was just thinking of going to a heartworm and seperate flea med as I have a box of Vectra3D sitting here.

Looked at the prices (1800petmed), and its still about $90/yr ?

Did some checking, and found Sentinel at valleyvet for $29/6m in the event anyone is considering or doing the 2 step thing.
    My dog has never had an issue with Interceptor, or Sentinel, so since it covers heartworm, ringworm, hookworm and whipworm, plus has an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) Lufenuron -

- wiki "It has no known toxic effects at any dosage on humans or other animals in the environment that do not depend on chitin, though the orally administered pills can sometimes cause an upset stomach with acid reflux."

6. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Valleyvet did not open for me. :no: $29/6months is a great price. I think we paid around $60 after coupon.

7. VallejoSheltie

Oct 12, 2011
  8. Sandi'sMom

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Aha.. this link worked.. Thanks a bunch. Strange that I put valleyvet.com into the search window and could not open. Sandi is going to lose weight, and her weight category is 11 - 25 lbs. which is $30.89. We pay more now, for sure. One question in my mind is it says that pills are green color. Sandi's Sentinel is light brown . I have to find out with her vet I guess. I am being very careful about medication.
    Thanks again for the link! I appreciate it.

9. VallejoSheltie

Oct 12, 2011
  10. Sandi'sMom

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio