Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Low Energy Shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Katagaria, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    Does anyone have a low energy sheltie who has been that way his/her whole life?

Jet is 2 years old and rests at home a lot, on walks he often lags behind us. On walks he does get sudden bursts of energy but it's always when he chases after our other sheltie boy and tries to play with him. Pretty much the only time I see Jet use much energy is when he plays with Cosmo. I can't run with him, because all he does is trot.

If he's not resting or sleeping, he's usually outside barking along with the neighbours dog.

So yeah, anyone have a low energy sheltie?

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Our Simba (sable boy), age approx 7 years, is one who has always been a "lag behind". I used to think it was his seizure meds that were to blame, but he has been totally off meds for almost 2 years now and is still pretty much a couch potato. He only has bursts of energy when a car or truck pulls into our or a neighbor's driveway and he is outside and will run the fence barking...or once in a while he will engage in running play with our 3 year old Faelee. But most of the time he either just lies on the front stoop and quietly watches the world go by for hours at a time or is snoozing on the doggie day bed. Unlike Faelee and Sketch (our 2 blues...who are both super energetic), Simba has zero interest in fetch, frisbee or anything remotely athletic...he would be a total failure at agility...would probably walk slowly up to the first jump, sniff it and then lie down next to it for a nap! LOL

Oh...vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, can openers...all illicit a strong reaction...one of the few times Simba will come racing through the house at top speed to confront the offending device.

Trini

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Nope, all of mine (4 so far, total) have had lots of energy, albeit with an "off" switch (thank the lord!).

You may want to have his thyroid checked next time he goes to the vet - it does tend to run in the Sheltie breed to be hypothyroid.

If that's all good, I guess you do have a legitimate couch potato dog! :winkgrin:

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Watson is pretty low energy. I think the cats wore off on him.... He's quite content to just cuddle. He's 3 now and has always been pretty low key. He gets excited and happy but still doesn't typically expend much energy. Sometimes, but not often.

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes, my friend has one. She would rather lay in the dirt and sun bath then play. Ember is also not that high energry but she has her moments.

My other shelties have all been very active especially as pups.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Bentley is low energy. I think he would lay on the couch all day long if we allowed it (and he wasn't pestered into playing by the other dogs).

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby is pretty much in between. She has her moments of being very high energy. When playing with other dogs or kids, running the fence after the trains or cars that go by. But other than that she loves more than anything to just lay outside in the shade and watch the world go by.

I would say she has a pretty good off switch.

8. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Daisy, a retired breeding dog, is very low key and content to lounge around all day (until she goes outside and gets a whiff of a rascally rabbit under the shed!).

Prima Donna Piper is very content laying low also . . but I suspect she just doesn't want to mess up her hair.

In my house, I am thankful for the low-key dogs . . . it kind of balances out the constant activities of wild child Jonesie Dream.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    All of ours are pretty laid back. We call Layla the Army dog: "Never stand when you can sit. Never sit when you can lie down. Smoke 'em if you got 'em."

That relaxed attitude has been perfect this week as she's helped me teach Vacation Bible School to 10 wiggly little kids!

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    No, only low energy shelties I've known have been really chubby and I think that sapped out the energy.

However what you're describing can also be an underlying physical issue. It reminds me of my male, who would lay around a lot, lag behind on walks, but he could still manage to chase bicycles. Eventually, after many visits to vets thinking it just didn't seem right I discovered he had elbow dysplasia and early onset arthritis as a result.