Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When Rescue Goes Wrong

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by Ann, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Piper's owner has posted $10,000 bond as well. It just keeps getting more and more bizarre as time goes on. It is unfortunate that situations like this from Shelties rescues and any breed rescue for that matter is causing irreparable harm.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Yep. I just ran through each of my dogs with my mom, telling her about this. I believe in rescue. I have rescued FIVE. I have purchased direct ONE. One of my rescues was a pup (I am first owner). That leaves 4, two I am pretty sure I know as owner turn-ins, but two could very well have been this. Melli most of all. Lost, AC, no-kill, to adoption in 2 weeks.

What was my mom's response? "I sure wouldn't get a dog from a shelter if I knew someone could knock at my door and want it back or if it could be sort of stolen from someone who wants it back." She was also surprised that under the CA law in discussion over Indy that even after an extended period of time someone could knock at my door. Every pic I post online of Melli could lead former owners to me with a wealth of ownership proof and ask for her back and/or be willing to take me to court for her. Quite worrisome, the trail of dog cookies is not that hard to follow to find her in this digital age.

Dogs will die over this issue as the media latches onto it, I tell you.

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The latest non-update posted on the rescue's FB page is this-

And this-

Also there was a guy (who is apparently associated with ASSA) who sent Penny's supporters private FB messages. So Penny posted on the rescue's page that he was doing this to slander the rescue and harass the individual, and if anyone is getting messages from him, to take a screen shot and send it to her, and then gives instructions on how to block him. Then the guy said on the Piper group that the messages just said was, "here is the warrant" with a link to the article with a copy of the warrant.

I think at this point, it's in the courts hands. She has to produce Piper by Monday, and I'm not sure what the consequences are if she doesn't. While I am happy that we are kept updated with these articles and the facebook group, I think people need to just leave Penny alone and let the authorities handle it. They need to stop asking her for statements, messaging her supporters, and posting on the rescues page. I think their intent is to pressure her into giving Piper up, but really it's just fueling the fire. Like Ann said, she appears to be very litigious! It's very unfortunate because in the middle of this is Piper. She's probably very confused and misses her family. It's been several months, but if she's being moved around to remain "hidden", I imagine that is very stressful. It's going to be a long weekend, but I am hoping for good news by Monday or sooner!

4. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I had resolved to no longer comment re this outrageous issue, but the last few posts have weakened my resolve. I find it interesting (and convienent) that someone purporting to represent the COSR posts a "We ain't sayin' nothin' else" comment just before posting yet another comment.

Look, I believe EVERYONE has a right to expect to feel safe in their own homes. I believe that any and all protests should and must be waged within the limits of the law. That said, I have a tough time mustering much sympathy (some, but not much) because this woman feels unsafe in her home. Her unrest arises from HER outrageous actions. As long as any and all activity leveled against her is within the law, her detracters are availing themselves of the same legal protections that she now hides behind.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    That someone is Penny.. hah. She's the one posting under the Rescue's name.

6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    You are correct. In this case we were discussing how to identify the dog as yours...not for reuniting the dog with its owner. My example was in line with the discussion for identification.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Using a SS# seems strange anyway...
    Can you say identity theft?

My first sheltie female was tattooed ... Any think this us still a good option?
    Without using the SS# of course.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    The fellow who sent the message to those liking the rescue status is the fellow who was involved in the original negotiations. He was sending it strictly on a personal level, not as anyone associated with any rescue, Sheltie group or ASSA.

One thing this has done in a positive way, is to make us all rethink how we identify our dogs and the steps we take to make them safe, whether at home, out for a walk, or when we are away, or if we have a dog-sitter or friend looking after them. THAT is what I am taking away from this.

9. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I agree. Shelties are very pretty dogs and some, like my Hanna, are also very friendly. She loves people and would go with anyone who had a treat, heck just being a new person is a big enough treat to draw her. She is microchipped, and wears tags with our address, email and phone number when outdoors. At home she is never out alone out front, but she does spend some time on the deck out back - only if one of us is on the main level in the kitchen or front room where we can see her.

I can't imagine what Piper's owner is going through - I'd be heartbroken if Hanna was lost or stolen, then to know who has her and have them unwiling to give her back would just be all the more devastating!

10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Not many people are turning her dogs over, shaving them, reading the SS#, and then proceeding to steal her identity. Quite frankly, that sounds strange to me.

But hey, you are entitled to your opinion. I was just throwing out an idea. By all means, not telling you what to do with your dog.

My point was....there is no way that someone else can claim your dog when it is tattoed with your SS#.