Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

short haired puppy?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by sierrajordon, Aug 25, 2014.

1. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    That is definitely a short or "smooth" coat.

Unfortunately, smooth is dominant in all breeds, and no purebred Shelties carry the gene for Smooth (i.e. you don't see smooth and rough Shelties like you see smooth and rough Collies or Border Collies). So your puppy is not a purebred Sheltie. If mom was smooth, then she's a mix of something.

Enjoy your puppy though, he looks like he could be fun!

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Not necessarily. Remember Banchory? The registration is only as good as the breeder providing the information. If this puppy came with AKC papers, I'd be asking for an inspection.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    What you should do is keep the puppy, and if you paid a great deal and want some back then do the doggy DNA test and present the results to the breeder. I hope, though, you will keep him. Short coats are so easy compared to long coats. 1/2 or 3/4 shelties are great! It is possible as he grows the nose will poke out more and be more typical of sheltie. They seem to pop out about 9-11 weeks. Showing a picture from the side standing (stacked) would be good for us to see too.

Whatever you do, don't send him back to that flea/tick infested place. Have the vet run a blood test to make sure the fleas/ticks didn't cause Lyme or anything that would harm him in the long run.

Most of all, spoil him!

4. sierrajordon

sierrajordon Forums Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    NC
    http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/SierraJordon/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0029_zpsaqxnjavr.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/SierraJordon/Mobile Uploads/IMAG0030_zpsnef3h0qb.jpg

Here is a couple photos of him after we cleaned him up. He is so lovable and a huge cuddler! We would never take him back. I just had to make that clear. I was just curious if he might have the long coat. It is possible he is a mix. I know his father was a pure breed. Mother looked like a sheltie but she has short coarse hair. The breeder didn't didn't know much about shelties. Hes 9 weeks old and the sweetest thing. He was cheap and he doesn't have papers. I was really hoping his might have a long coat but either way we will live him the same!

5. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Your Honey is beautiful - her coat is a little shorter, but from the pics (even the puppy ones) she totally looks like a sheltie to me. Even with the short puppy coat you can see that soft fuzzy hair. This pup appears to have a coat more like a terrier or a corgi, there doesn't appear to be an undercoat at all.

Purebred or not, he can still be a great pet. On the plus side grooming is going to be much easier. Do get the flea & ticks taken care of ASAP. You really don't want them in your house either.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  6. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
  7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Very glad you are keeping him! A lot of people would go back and drop the puppy and walk away.

If you are curious, the doggy DNA test is easy to do. I did it on my shepherd mix and it was pretty spot on.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    I am happy to hear that! If you ever want a pure papered sheltie in the future, feel free to PM me. I am not breeding, but a lot of my friends in my club are and I can give you contact info. I am also in NC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  9. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Welcoming you and your adorable puppy to the forum.

So glad he found his loving home with you.

Hope you stick around here on the forum.

We would love to hear how your little guy is doing.

Thank you for sharing his great pictures with us.

ps What is your puppy's name?

10. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    He's very cute. I'm not enough of an expert to tell you anything else! Is it possible, however, that if the breeder wasn't careful enough that the Mom might have mated with a different dog than the dad? Just something that came to mind.