Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Neutering in a two dog household

Discussion in 'General Health' started by jhwyung, Jun 24, 2014.

1. jhwyung

jhwyung Forums Novice

Mar 9, 2014
    toronto
    Hi guys,

Our youngest is getting neutered this weekend and was looking for some tips on how keep him safe in a two dog household.

He's very active with our other dog, a 2 yr old Mini Schnauzer. Our sheltie has Cryptorchidism, so his recovery time might actually be longer than the standard 1 week.

I'm cautious because my sheltie and schnauzer are very active together. Currently thinking of keeping them in separate rooms for the whole healing process. Was wondering how other owners did this, tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Separation works well for active doggies who tend to play hard. You shouldn't need to keep that separation for more than a week and then back to normal...but check with your vet on what time frame he would recommend since your little guy's surgery will be a bit more complicated than the standard neuter.

Good wishes for all to go well!!

Trini

3. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Riley lives with a Springer. When I got Riley neutered I kept the dogs separate for the first week. I had the dogs take turns on which was was with me and which one was in the other room. The biggest issue I had with Riley is that he liked to lick the surgery site, so I had to keep the cone on for 2 weeks.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Depends on the incision, and how far they have to go to dig out the second testicle. When I had my dog neutered, my vet glued the incision shut. Nothing was touching it, and he was up and down steps and the bed the first night. But if you end up with actual sutures, you'll have to watch those. Just separate them, they'll live.