Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Soft Sided Crates

Discussion in 'Crates & Beds' started by Sheltie4, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I will be taking Tres to ASSA Nationals in St. Louis shortly.

I need a soft sided crate for him. He doesn't chew, but hates a crate, so I am pretty sure he will be pawing to get out.

Any suggestions on brands or things to look for in a soft sided crate?

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I love my Noz 2 Noz crate. I have the 36" and both dogs fit nicely. I had some cheaper ones as well but the quality of the Noz 2 Noz is above and beyond. It's still a soft crate so if one of them really wanted out they could probably chew/claw through but it's fairly sturdy.

3. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Great for a dog that is quiet in a crate or just for travelling in the car. Not great for a dog that paws or tries to get out - they are easily damaged. Also have seen dogs roll them - quite funny to watch.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we bought Elitefield through Amazon last year- great prices and going through the Amazon link on Sheltie Nation helps out the site:yes:

my dogs have lots of crate experience so soft sided is what we use at trials......
    wish we were going to St Louis..... have fun:smile2:

5. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    Thanks for all of the advice. You guys are the best resource whenever I have a question.

I ended up buying a Noz2Noz from Amazon by going through the link here on SN.

If you are at ASSA Nationals next weekend, and see a male Sable/Merle running loose, we will know that Tres got out :rolleyes2: But he will go to anyone with treats:razz:

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I used soft-sided crate for Bacca and loved it. Granted, he was pretty good and never really tried to get out of it, but neither was he ever in it for great periods of time. During the day, the longest was 3-4 hours.

I just loved how I could move it around the house and in and out of car and over to the cottage.....no heavy lifting. Mine was actually quite small in hindsight....only about 24" but I only used it until he was about a year old.

Once he was potty trained, but yet to be fully house trained, I moved the crate into an xpen. Still had his den, but just a little bit more room to move around and get at water, etc. Worked beautifully!

7. DarcyDog

DarcyDog Forums Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I hope to be bringing my new puppy home at the end of May. I no longer have the crate I used for my previous dog (lost her in March and still very sad), so I will be on the hunt for a a new crate.

I have a very large metal cage for her at home, so this will be a crate I use in the car when traveling. Any suggestions for the best size to get for a sheltie? I guess I would want to use it from puppy through adult.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Just remember that whatever style crate you choose, make sure you size it down while pup is a pup.

In other words, just enough room for pup to lay down and sleep, but not so big that he/she can pee in one corner and sleep in the other. That's the main secret to house training with a crate.