Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thunderstorms moving in tonight

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Sheltie4, May 8, 2014.

1. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I hate night time storms . . . it means I won't get much sleep between Tres pushing on my mattress and Jonesie and Daisy pacing in bed with me :sleepy:

One of my vets suggested "Composure" treats by Vetri-Science, so I bought it and gave it to the dogs a while ago.

Anyone else have experience with Composure?

I have some prescription anti-anxiety pills, but am hesitant to administer it.

So we will give the Composure a try and see if I get any sleep tonight . .

Sweet dreams . . . hopefully :wink2:

2. Biscuits&barks

Biscuits&barks Forums Novice

Apr 17, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    I hope that works for you tonight! I know what it's like. I had an Aussie that was not allowed in the bed. When a storm rolled in he would leap in beside me and shake with fear and there was no getting him out!

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We actually bought a Thundershirt for our heeler rescue dog - and it cuts his shaking by about 75%

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I hope it works. Hollie was horrible during storms. I would lay with her in the closet with the door closed so she couldn't see the lightening. She would pace and pant like crazy. We also had prescription for her but by the time it kicked in the storm would be passed. And I hated giving it too her and then it wouldn't storm. It was tough to get it just right.

5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    My neighbor who is a trainer helped me get Callahan over his huge thunderstorm fears at age 10. It took incremental baby steps and high value treats but he spent his last years not shaking and panting and being terrified when the monsoons hit. Thank the lord these two dont care about thunder!

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I really feel for you. I hate it when storm season arrives - the stress, the lack of sleep, and a dog in panic mode that's hard to console. I got valium to give Deska before the storms last year, it made a huge difference. Only a shame he can't use it now because of his pain killers. A large lamb shank bone to gnaw on during the storm does help distract him. As soon as I hear a thunderstorm is coming I head to the shops to get some shanks (I also keep a stock in the freezer altho often can only partially thaw them in time)

The worst is the ones that start at 2am or go on for hours. In those circumstances I have found keeping him in the bedroom with the door closed and classical or nature music playing helps (he likes the whale sounds in particular).

I've been through all the conditioning techniques, sound recordings, anything I could get my hands on over the years. He has gotten much better (doesn't try to break through the windows now) so they do work, but I know he'll never be cured.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    A holistic vet I know recommends using 3 mg of melatonin (found in drugstores) given up to 3 times a day if needed. I try to give one when I know storms are coming, but if it's really bad I use HomeoPet's Anxiety TFLN drops. It's made for storm phobias, is completely natural and works well although like most things, it's more effective if you give it before the storm comes. You can find it on Amazon.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Hope it wasn't too bad last night. I am blessed - mine will give a bark and then ignore the thunder.

When I was a kid, our neighbour's dog used to run away from them and come to our house during storms. They always knew where to find Trixie.

9. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I've been really lucky in that none of my shelties have ever been afraid of thunder & lightning. Hanna gives a bark at the first strike, looks at me to see if I'm bothered and then goes back to whatever she was doing- usually sleeping :)

Night before last I woke up to a brilliant storm and both hubby and Hanna were oblivious - kitty kept me company.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Thundershirts and Head to Tail Calming treats. What inline about both products is that neither one is used to induce drowsiness

Both have awards for best products in the out world.

I've never figured out how to copy and paste links from my ipad, so you will just have to google it. Sorry!