Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need recommendations with possible digestive issue

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by GingerMarie, Jan 30, 2014.

1. GingerMarie

GingerMarie Forums Novice

Jan 30, 2014
    York, PA
    Please help! I'm soo confused. My little girl (age 3) has a problem with vomiting. It's totally unpredictable in it's timing. It's not every day and can not happen for several days or even weeks, but has also occassionaly been twice in one day. My vet says sheltie's can be sensitive and can suffer from acid reflux. She eats twice a day and always eats her food quickly (followed by a burp or two within moments of finishing). Vet suggested giving her a half tab of Pepcid before meals and also maybe put her on a sensitive stomach food. Had some bloodwork done today and am waiting on results, hopefully no issues but the vet didn't seem concerned because she is completely normal in appetite/activity/bm's, etc. I got the Pepcid and stopped by my local pet store to look for sensitive food (unfortunately without doing my research first) and came home with a 4 lb bag of Blue Buffalo Sensitive to try (which I think I am now regreting based on what I'm reading). I'm looking for some recommendations. Posters seem to be recommending Fromm's and Wellness. Are these foods good for sensitive tummies or come in sensitive tummy formulas?, and are they readily available at pet stores? I am from the south central PA region and have PetSmart/Petco and Pet Valu stores in my area. (also, my budget is a little tight, so I need to find something that won't be a choice between me or my pup eating!) Thanks for any help!

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    The standard answer is whatever works for her is what you should use.

I would go to a straight up raw diet with any digestion issue, which with one dog can be done relatively cheaply. That way you know exactly what the issue is and can manage from there, and if something doesn't agree, you don't have another 15 pounds to use up or toss.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    First, I would put your girl on a good probiotic/digestive enzyme. Add that to every meal. I use Digestive Enhancer by Natures Farmacy (http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/). You only need a little and it lasts a long time. You can use this with the Pepcid. Once her stomach settles, you can stop using Pepcid and keep her on the probiotic/enzyme. All my dogs get that all the time. It's great for their digestive systems.

Then, I'd put her on a limited ingredient diet. I'm not sure what's in the Sensitive Stomach formulas. Blue Buffalo is not a bad food so you could try that -- especially since you have it. If that doesn't help her, Fromm is a great food but you'd have to see what they have in limited formulas. Wellness is also good, and they do have limited ingredient formulas so that's another possiblity.

Good luck and please let us know how she does.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Before switching food again, have you tried something to slow her down from eating so fast? Try putting her kibble in a treat dispensing toy like the long wobbler. This way she can't gobble it down in 5 seconds. Stores also sell a slow feeding bowl and a ball that up u can put in her bowl to make it a little more difficult to eat. I'm sure eating really fast doesn't help with digestion.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My shepherd is the same. He was always vomiting and having rumbly tummy too. I asked a lot of questions from the shepherd boards on it. Now, he eats 3 meals a day instead of 2. He has his food in a muffin tin where he has to eat a little from each cup. He is fed separately from the other dog so there is no race. There is NO play after meals for some time. Most of all, he is on probiotic/enzyme powder mixed in to every meal. While I use Taste of the Wild, the key for him is that the food, any food, not puff up a lot when eaten. TOTW is not especially puffy in water. Also, he is on bison/lamb as chicken or even all lamb is upsetting as is grain in the food.

I would 100% do raw but I live an hour from town, shop only twice a month, and I only have a small freezer. Raw is a really good method.

You will find a system that works and stick with it. Top hints are the probiotic/enzyme, grain-free, and slowing the eating and/or smaller meals at a time, raw if you are able.

6. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    You can also just go outside, get an appropriate sized rock, wash it, and place it in the middle of the bowl. Spread the food around the rock so that the dog has to move around the bowl while eating.

7. codyblu

codyblu Forums Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Have you ever tried The Honest Kitchen? My 8 year old sheltie has always had problems with throwing up and I tried every brand of kibble out there - Fromm, Acana, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, you name it I tried it. I finally decided to try The Honest Kitchen, but was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford to feed it all of the time (my Cody is a trim 42 pounds). After just one day of feeding the Keen food by THK, he quit throwing up and after three months has not thrown up one time! The food is not that expensive when you realize how much you get after it is re-hydrated and Cody has never looked better, he doesn't get eye boogers anymore, he has practically stopped shedding and itching and he absolutely loves this food! If you can find it near you, I would give it a try. I think you can buy it online too. A 10 pound box lasts me a month, but as I said Cody is definitely a larger sheltie.

8. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    We have a husky with this problem. Our solution has been to divide his food evenly into 3 meals a day and a cookie (dog treat) at bed time. He did take Pepcid but was not helpful. The key for acid reflux is to keep food in the stomach at all times. He still has the odd vomiting incident but we figure it is because huskies are picky eaters :gaah and there are just some meals he refuses to eat no matter what food we feed him.

9. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Perhaps try cutting the dry food in half and supplementing with raw beef or chicken. That's what I do for Dickens, and, knock on wood, he's been thriving on it; I've not had a day of sickness with him in more than a year, and no weight issues.

10. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I would not jump instantly to raw diet as the fix to this. I've nothing against raw, but its not for everyone.

Couple of things to try first.....if she is gulping her food, then you can try a slow feed bowl. There is also a ceramic ball you can put into her food dish to slow her down. Or the Green Interactive feeder....its both a slow feeder and brain exercise at the same time...there are other puzzle toys available as well that accomplish the same thing. Google it.

The other thing you can try is a raised dish. It doesn't help the crazed eating, but it does help the food to go down in a more controlled manner...i.e. smoother down the throat.

I would suggest if your dog is vomiting almost immediately after eating, then these two ideas might help.

If the vomiting is coming later, then you need to look at potential food allergies. It is not uncommon that dogs have allergies/sensitivies to certain proteins that could cause poor digestion. Chicken and Beef tend to be the worst. Along with grains/glutens. So consider a grain-free or limited ingredient diet.

I've got more ideas, but I will leave it for now....