Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mounting

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Simba13, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    This might be a strange question but I am going to go ahead and ask it! My 5 (nearly 6) month old puppy won't stop mounting dogs, both my other dogs and dogs in the park. It's usually the male dogs and there are certain dogs in the park that he will mount all the time. Is this normal?

He has been doing it since he was 3 months old but has only recently started with two of my German Shepherds (1 dog, 1 bitch). My female isn't neutered. At the moment she isn't having any of it and tells him off, but I'm afraid in a few months time she will change her mind. Should I get him neutered asap?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
  3. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    Thank you! I'm still wondering though should I have him neutered right now? His 'crown jewels' haven't dropped yet so I know this would be a bigger operation and the vet said to wait till he's 1 and if they still haven't dropped to get him neutered but I'm afraid that if I leave it we are going to have some little sheltie/shepherd baby's running around!

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Well, at least the shepherd is BIG and can carry the litter :eek2:

We will be neutering when we have a break in travel/class schedule eventually.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    If the testes haven't dropped now they are unlikely to. It's called cryptochordism and is relatively common in shelties - if you do a search you'll find some useful threads about it and the surgery required. It is important to get a crypto dog neutered for health reasons, however he is unlikely to be fertile (I say unlikely but there is a possibility).

You might find this article about humping useful

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-emotions/201209/why-dogs-hump

I was quite strict about not letting Deska hump when he was younger, esp when Tully was intact (she's now desexed), even though Deska was also a crypto and was unlikely to impregnate, I just was not going to put up with the behaviour. For him humping is a play behaviour - he will still sometimes hump when he is playing with other male dogs, or when he has Tramadol (for some reason that drug makes him act very silly).

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Ohhhhh booooooo. Cubby -- Melli's head -- hip action. :ick

21 weeks and we're a nasty boy . . .

7. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Cooper is neutered and Carter is intact and even before Coop was neutered they would go to town on each other. I think its more of a dominance things for mine. It slowed down when I got Coop neutered.

Now they will get Jade by her head. Poor thing.

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    My son's five-year-old spayed female mutt tries to hump Dickens all the time when they're together. I'm pretty sure it's a dominance thing. I would imagine it's also a kind of behavior that natural selection needed but wasn't able for one reason or another to confine to one sex.

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    In Cubby's case, it is definitely not dominance, it's pure and unadulterated sex. Just saying. He clearly, very very clearly, recognizes Melli's dominance. In fact, she has mounted him a couple times! But in the whole pecking order, Cubby definitely watches her as the leader and the one to fear as well. Now he probably would mount Shay in a dominance fashion (has to console self with biting Shay's bobtail as Shay is very very tall). However, this was about hormones.

Melli is spayed.

10. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    ok SN friends...need help on this subject with Baker - keep in mind he is only the 2nd male puppy I have ever dealt with...

On Saturday I had them in the kitchen with me. Baker is constantly biting on big bro Toby, and he is put in his place when he gets too "rough". Baker is pretty relentless with his humping: Toby's head, ribs, hind legs, the soccer ball outside, some of his stuffed toys...

I don't like it and normally softly remove him from whatever has his attention, with a firm "no humping!".

Well, I turned around to see Baker going to town on Toby, removed him, and noticed him acting "weird". It seemed that his "thing" had extended & not retracted. Call me naive, but I had never seen more than a tip of that before. So...I'm freaking, Baker is freaking - like he didn't know what that was!

He awkwardly walked into the den & I could still see "it". So I picked him up. At this point I'm thinking I might need to call the vet - what do I say? and I can't take him there because it's 8pm and I have had 2 cocktails...sorry - really freaking out at this point!

Well, after holding Baker for just a minute or so "it" went back where it belongs.

Do I need to worry? If I have him neutered sooner than later will that help this behavior?