Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mia is alomst two! A quick progress report

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by mbfrench, Apr 15, 2012.

1. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    I thought msybe I would give a short update to Mia's progess & accomplishments she has had this last few months.

Recently Mia made a long journey to upstate NY.She was loved & snuggled by so many people.And took each moment in stride,never showing any shyness,or even issues with the long travel. We met some wonderful people along our journey.One being Christina Lee~ founder of DeafDogsRock! And also met Nitro. Such a handsome dog.

On one of our days in NY,Mia made her first therepy dog visit in a nursing home.And I will say,she's a natural! Loved every moment of all the cuddles she recieved. And as we continue in our efforts to raise awareness of the double merle dangers of irresponsible breeding practices,and answer questions o those that ask. We feel confidant that we are doing our best.

Mia will be fitted soon for an Angel vest,it will be done by a lady that specializes in the vest.It will give her confidance & also protect her tender eyes from running into obstacles outside.

Mia has flourished into a beautiful confidant sheltie.She is now full grown weighing 14#.And she is at standard height at 14-1/2". A tiny one,but she is solid & has some real confidance.She has attitude! Which we love.

We have worked thru some behavioral issues and we continue to make adjustments with her. The spinning we do not think will ever go away.I think at this point it is habit,when she is placed in her x-pen. We still redirect her,and it is working. We found the item that works...it's a simple ice cube! As soon as she gets one,the spinning stops,and she does'nt do it any more.

Our efforts in the grooming insecurities have definately been imporved 100%. She now will let me groom her without to much fuss. And I can even groom her without placing her in the tub. (no water). So we have really come along way.

Mia's attachment to Brian is so huge.Her world evolves around him & his scent. She immediately calms down when he is near,and is content to be by his side if he could let her 24/7.

Mia's health is stable,although with lack of excersise we do have to monitor her intake,as she is one to gain easily. Unfortuneatly her limp on the front right leg,has worsened this past year. It is most likely artheritis that has set in. Another reason to monitor her weight.

All in all,Brian & I would like to thank everyone who has embraced our Mia with all thier love & support.
    Woofs!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Michele, I think all of Sheltie Nation has embraced Mia. She is such a special Sheltie -- and you and Brian are so special to be helping her reach her amazing potential. Hugs to this lovely girl! :smile2:

3. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I read about Mia on Tri State Sheltie's website. Mia is a very remarkable sheltie and you and your husband are amazing too. I am so glad you adopted her and have given her the best life ever. An exceptional life. Thanks for the information on being responsible breeders.

4. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    Mia warms my heart.
    you are amazing with her.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Congratulations on all the strides made with Mia. She is an exceptional Sheltie, and you are exceptional guardians for her. It's great to hear how well she is doing!

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    It's wonderful to hear Mia is going so well and has blossomed into such a beautiful Sheltie girl.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Two already! I'm glad she is getting on so well, it amazes me how dogs can cope so well with their disadvantages. Its lovely to hear she is so confident and a good therapy dog. I think that says a lot about the care and love you have given her too Michelle.

8. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    Thank you so much for the wonderful update on our sweet little Mia. I'm glad to hear she is doing so wonderfully.

You and Brian are amazing doggie parents!

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    The time has certainly flown. Bless you and Brian for taking on a challenge such as this and flourishing with it and her, bringing Mia to such a confident dog. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of her, especially in her angel vest.