Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How soon can you tell their final coat colour?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Gracesmum, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Gracesmum

Gracesmum Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012
    England
    Just wondering if you can tell as early as 5 months.

Grace's mum and dad are both noted as Sable, but mum is very light in colour and light in coat. Dad is a lot darker and his coat is seems quite big.

I was just wondering how soon you can tell which parent they will take after.
    Grace is quite fair but I am noticing some darker colours in her.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Sables change a lot before their adult coat comes in.
    there are some threads already where people have posted pix of their shelties as puppies and adults.........

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    My two Sables (brother and sister littermates - 6 years old) STILL change coat colors; usually getting a little darker.'

My boy is definitely a darker sable (mahogony sable) whereas his sister has the the darker fur up by her shoulders and is lighter toward her back. However, within the past year she's a little darker further down her back than it was before.

4. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Two males here are half brothers. They are 4 months apart. Trapp (oldest) was a very light pumpkin colored,and really though he would turn out like his mom. She is a bright pumpkin color. She was pure for sable,the dad a tri-color.

Trapp has developed into a very dark mohagany sheltie. Nothing light about him.

Jasper the youngest,was the lightest in the litter. Thought maybe a sable merle...as he developed at like 4-5 months he turned literally grey. Nothing sable looking about him.
    His mom a sable merle,and has same dad as Trapp.
    His coat has undergone so many changes.Even at one time he was the exact color of our Earnhardt (yellow lab). Exact color.
    As he has aged,he is very light,sandy colored,light,light pumpkin. There is some nice coloring (dark & grey) in his ruff. His undercarriage is all white.

They say as some sables develope,the hair behind the ears can be a fairly good indication of the end result of the dog. In our case,that is very true.

No mistaken on Blake...a Bi-Black~
    No mistaken on Mia...a double merle

5. Gracesmum

Aug 27, 2012
    England
    Thanks for the replies. I long waiting game then, I guess.:biggrin2:

6. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Sit back..be patient & take pictures! Your in for a ride:biggrin2:

Takes a good long while for these pups to come into full coats. My boys never came into thier full coats till after 2yrs.

7. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Yes I agree with the other posts.

Here is Kyara at 5 months:
    http://sheltieforums.com/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=4563

If you look at this picture, this is Kyara at 7 months, she is still very light but some black is showing around her face:
    http://sheltieforums.com/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=4566

Now this is her just a few weeks shy of 2 years old:
    http://sheltieforums.com/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=5456
    So much darker!

Take lots of pictures, it's fun to compare how much they change :yes:.

8. Gracesmum

Aug 27, 2012
    England
    Wow, Kyrara is very similar in colour to Grace at 5 months, except the darker colour around her face. The difference at 2 years is quite something, but she looks absolutely stunning.

9. biowicks

biowicks Forums Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2012
    Michigan
    I couldn't get any pics with the links. A new window opens, but there is nothing in it! :gaah

10. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa