Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

TOTW is out!

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Mom2Melli, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    This is indeed posted on TOTW FB page. Stupid, stupid Diamond. I told the husband about this and he FLIPPED. We DO NOT feed ingredients from China. The bag I just bought is going to a shelter. I will have to officially withdraw my TOTW preference after years now. I just ordered Acana. Insanely expensive, but I need the bison/lamb-like formula for the shepherd and you all speak so highly of the brand. Earthborn is second but higher in protein/fat/calories. Sigh.

Personal thanks to bkzoo for the news scoop AND to Calliesmom for the short list to start me looking at ingredients and calories and saving me much time. Happy hugs and kisses from Shay, Melli, and baby Cubby for your recommendations and assistance.

Quoted off TOTW FB page:
    Taste of the Wild Pet Food Most of the ingredients in Taste of the Wild originate in the U.S. There are critical ingredients that are not available domestically in an adequate supply or with as much quality as our international supply. There are ingredients critical to our formulations (i.e. folic acid and taurine) that can only be sourced out of China. We believe not including these ingredients would not be in the best interest of your pet. We understand the concern of products sourced outside of the U.S. Food safety is our top priority. Our ingredients go through numerous quality assurance checks – from the time the ingredient arrives to the end process of shipping – to ensure the safety of our products.

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    We used to feed TOTW but back when they had all the recalls a few years ago we switched to grain free Fromm. I have been switching between the different proteins and my girls seem to be doing well on it.

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Sorry to be a party pooper since I know so many people like TOTW...We all want the best for our furry friends - I was just digging a little deeper than normal for what the new pup will eat.

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    A few years ago when TOTW had that recall I dumped them. I gave blue buffalo lamb a try and Shay didn't do all that well as he hit the "bloat window" -- there's like certain times bloat peaks like ages 2 to 10 or something, I forget now. After quite some time of battling real squeakers and groaners on all lamb I went back to TOTW and he has done so well.

But, China! Shoot. Great to know and now I will find a better food.

I am sure the shepherd folk are gonna be quite mad! TOTW is popular.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we did too but after the big Diamond mess- we swore off all Diamond products. which is why we now switch back and forth so we are never dependent on just one brand..... and why I pretty much already had a list......
    we've done the fish formulas and are moving into lamb formulas....

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I stopped feeding TOTW for good when I found a completely different kibble in my 5 pound bag. I also bought a bad bag once. I switched over to commercial raw after that.

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have heard rumors of people getting bad batches that smelled rancid or something, but I have never had any problems.

A totally different kibble? Well, I had heard rumors also of "no quality control" but I thought that was a myth.

Jeez.

I am voting for the Canadians at this point (Acana). US is too messed up to even deal with.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I remember that - and the customer service that you got is another reason I don't want to deal with Diamond at all.................

9. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Not cheap but the guys eat Fromm's and have done well. I swap varieties except fish as we are a fishless house (for me). I like that from everything I can see it is all US made and family run.

10. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Fromm is quite a bit cheaper than Blue Wilderness - I switched as I wanted something lower calorie without going to a diet food for Hanna. She now looks just about right, so hopefully we can maintain.