Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

She is going out before her last puppy shot.

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by dkean, Apr 11, 2012.

1. dkean

dkean Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2012
    I'm posting this here because Amber Lee is not four months old yet. She will be four months old on 04/19/12. We have to go out of state to visit our adult son (44) who lives in a brain injured facility. He received his injury in 1985 in an auto accident when he was 17. Today he had a seizure so they called 911. He had two more seizures before the ambulance got there. Its a five hour drive so we will take our fifth wheel.

Amber Lee will get her last puppy shot on Monday 04/16/12. I feel she will be safer with us then a kennel.

Any suggestions as to how to keep her safe from those bad germs?

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    sorry to hear about your son. will keep you and your family in my prayers.

maybe call the vet and see if can give the shot a few days early? just a idea
    i think she will be ok.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    She should be fine. It's all about risk management, which you are doing by not dropping her in a kennel.

4. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Rachael is absolutely right! Be careful, reduce her risk exposure, keep her clean, she'll be fine...:wink2:

5. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    I'm keeping you family in my thoughts.

As for the pup, everyone is right, she will be better off with you. Simply avoid any spots where another dog just peed or where there is excrement on the ground when you bring her out to potty.

6. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, as long as you've fed her a good diet and kept her healthy over the last four months, she will be fine. It's good for them to get out and be exposed to things and get immunity... that's how the body is meant to work. Shots don't automatically guarantee immunity, anyway. I had a person interested in a foster dog of mine who told me her puppy died of parvo a month after his second parvo shot. Needless to say, I didn't approve her since you're not supposed to bring a dog into a parvo house for at least a year. Unless you take your shoes off every time you come in the house, you've probably exposed her to quite a bit already unknowingly... which again is a good thing b/c her immunity will be strong.

Sorry to hear about your son. Sending positive vibes your way.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'll keep your son in my prayers. I'm sure your puppy will be fine!

8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry about your son, your dog will be fine.

9. dkean

dkean Forums Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2012
    We are back from our trip and everything went fine. I have to share what Amber Lee did when she met our son for the first time. Being only four months old and leery of strangers I wasn't sure how she would react to our son Stacy. When we picked up our son to bring him back to the RV Amber was in her travel crate in the back seat of the truck. Stacy sat next to her so she had a chance to smell him. When we arrived back at the RV my wife and Stacy went in and I carried Amber Lee in. I put her on the floor and she walked right to Stacy who was sitting on the sofa. She stood up on her hind legs and placed her front paws on his knees. She started to lick his hand very softly. Then she jumped up on the sofa next to him and pushed her pointy nose between his arm and his ribs. When she got her head and body in far enough she started to lick his throat and chin and worked her way up to all over his face. Mind you she was doing this like she was licking a puppy,very soft and gentle. She knew he was different.

With me and my wife she is different like you expect a puppy to be but with Stacy it was like she was a more mature mother with her injured child.

Our Amber Lee is such a great Sheltie for only being four months old.

Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts.

10. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Shelties are very sensitive and pick up on things we would not expect them too - like she needed to be gentle with your son. What a sweet story.