Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

poop eater

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by bobbymac, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby was a poop eater too. We added pineapple to her food and would also pick it up as soon as she would go. She no longer eats her own poo so I don't know if that worked or if she out grew it. But rabbit poo that is another story, sometimes I can't even get her attention when she is snacking.

2. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    I know exactly how you feel. Our Meadow is totally the same. And of course if I start to walk towards her to clean up she'll run off with it in her mouth
    :ick

3. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Mally was a poo-poo eater when he was a puppy. I would have to pick it up as soon as it hit the ground or else he would get it. He was quick.

In fact, when we would go out on a walk and he had not gone yet, I'd say Mally, "go poo-poo" and he would turn around and look me in the eye and lick his chops!

Then, miraculously, when he turned 1 year old he just up and stopped!

4. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    Tinsel, surprisingly, isn't. Who would have thought that a dog that was half starved in a mill, living in a cage with other half starved dogs would not eat poop but I have only had a couple of occasions where he showed interest. A quick uh uh stopped him. With the westies I only had one period of time that the dogs took up this and that was when I fed raw to one dog. The others went after it even if they had to dig through the snow. There was undigested stuff in it. Interestingly, Tin's interest has been sparked by Rhiannon in the last week. Rhi is not digesting food properly right now - don't know why and we have done mega testing to try and figure out why she is not eating well and not digesting.
    I think I would be xing on lead with a poop eating puppy so that it doesn't get the chance to consume anything. Then pup would go in the house and I would go back out to clean up. I've been told, don't know how much truth there is to this, but that cleaning up while the dog is present is likely to start them cleaning too. Just in case that is true, I wouldn't allow them to be present while I cleaned.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I had not had a poop eater until we adopted Sketch as an adult...who was close to starvation at 17 pounds on a frame that now carries 36 pounds with not a scrap of fat. I think he had been eating poop in an attempt to keep from starving.

Unfortunately, he quickly taught Simba to eat poop too. :( I have tried all the additives, none have worked. Being diligent about always going outside with them and scooping up poop instantly is the only 100% sure solution I have come up with. I always take a ball outside with me and if I can't get to the poop before one of them does I throw the ball down the hill for them to chase...they will leave anything to chase a ball or frisbee. That gives me just enough clean up time. Telling them NO or LEAVE IT only makes them gobble faster! YUCK!

Trini