Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Emma's visit to a seniors' home

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Emmasmom, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    This group allows more than one person to certify with the same dog - I suspect this is what happened.

2. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio

Thanks. That makes sense.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    In fact, the day Emma and I evaluated, there were two ladies with four Shepherds. Each one would certify with the four dogs. I am not sure about this though - I know other groups only allow a certain number of dogs.

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I have to agree with JLSOhio on this one, if anything should happen while you are associated with this group, you know the old saying, "guilt by association". Even if you and Emma are not present, it could cause you problems in any future groups you would try to join, a bad situation may make it most difficult to join another. :hide

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    So true, so very true.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Great job Emma!!!

Do you have to be a part of a group to do visits? I take Shelby to our local nursing home and we are not part of a group. We have permission to visit whenever we want, we just have to sign in so they know we are there.

We usually go every other week after dinner for a few hours. The residents just love the visits and it really puts a smile on their faces. But not all are as nice, last year one resident told me he hoped I got a lot of eggs for Easter.......rotten ones! :lol:

7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Being part of a group means you are covered under their insurance. It is good because you should have support (note: I say should).

I am considering approaching some homes to see if I can get Emma in on my own, sans group. I will also be speaking with my pastor to see if he knows of anyone who would like a visit from a dog.

8. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    The matter of the insurance is a great point! Should I find myself in the situation that you find yourself in, I doubt that being under the group's insurance plan would cause me to change my mind and stay with the group. It would, however factor into how I moved forward with my desire to visit facilities.

I like the "note" comment that you made. If the therapy group is so lax as to allow the situation you mentioned to occur, I would be concerned how well they would respond to situations where some liability issue would arise. Would they rise up and cover the incident? Would they try to weasel out of it? Hmmmmm! Again, good luck.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    follow up

I have shot off an email to the group with the confirmation of my time on Saturday, indicating that the calendar showed one visit available and no names attached, asking them to explain to me and the other team what happened.

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm so happy to hear about these wonderful therapy dogs we have on the forum. I sounds like Emma is doing great!

I hope one day Missy can be a therapy dog, as she really loves visiting people. Unfortunately right now she's still a little too "wiggly". She doesn't jump or hurt anyone, but when she get's excited about greeting someone, she does a little spin into them. If only she would just stay still!! lol. It might be a few more years!