Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Was just told I have to let my 14.5 yr old baby go

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Maudelynn, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Maudelynn

Maudelynn Forums Novice

Mar 7, 2014
    Hollywood
    due to the fluid from congestive heart failure. He was diagnosed in March and meds don't work anymore :(

My husband just left town for a month and I am so so sad :(

I have another 14 year old Sheltie who has never known life without Clive.
    Is there any way I can help him understand? Things I should do??

Thank you so much

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I am so sorry to hear this - my heart breaks for you.

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I'm so sorry. Just be there for your other baby and maybe spent extra time cuddling, allow extra treats or new toys, do something like go sit in a park or an outting. Just be compassionate but not dwell on it and you will help each other through.

Hugs and prayers.

4. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Sorry to hear that it's his time. It's a difficult decision to make.

I lost 2 shelties in the 3 years due to age-related issues. The ones left behind were a little confused at first. The younger one especially, as he had never been an only dog before.

Your other dog may look for his friend, but I think they do understand. Just be around as much as possible for a few days so that your remaining dog doesn't have to be alone in the house.

{hugs}

5. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    I am so sorry to hear your news. You and your babies will be in my thoughts and prayers.

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I am so sorry. It will take time for you other baby to adjust, but he will.

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I am so sorry you're going through this :hugs

Be prepared for the emotions, be kind to yourself, be there with him to the end and remember he was the best dog he could be and you're just helping him to the rainbow bridge, where he will be painfree running again like he did when he was a puppy.

Your other dog will need your attention and your strength but will also be there for you and you'll get through this together

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I am so very sorry...it is truly a heartbreaking time when you know there is nothing left you can do to keep a beloved little dog comfortable any longer.

Your other dog will grieve for Clive along with you...it usually takes time for them to accept that their "sibling" is not coming home. Try to keep your other dog's schedule as normal as possible to give security that life will go on OK...but also share your sadness.

My heart goes out to you...

Trini

9. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I am so sorry.

Hugs to you.

10. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss of Clive. I know there are no words to say to make it better, but in time, it will be better. Will you forget, of course not, but together with your other baby, you will help each other through. Try to stay as close to your routine as possible, you're other baby needs to know that no matter what is happening, things for him/her will remain the same. Spend a little more time and give a few extra hugs and kisses to your baby. I will have Clive and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :cry: